Page 376 of 430 FirstFirst ... 276326366374375376377378386426 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,760 of 4300

Thread: Three Peaks Fell Race

Re: Three Peaks Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Lots of "crampers" - this would be an interesting study group for any researchers out there.
    Apologies for late night posting, been asleep all afternoon! I got cramp after Whernside (calves) and then after Ingleborough (Hams/adductors) but was able to continue taking it steady and run it off. First time I've been able to do that. I think it comes on as a result of the walking involved as that's when I seem to get it worst (ie. when starting to run again after walking). Happened the same at Rombalds earlier in the year after walking up the Chevin. I had sports drink sent to both bottle collections and that probably helped.

My main mistake this time was to not think of taking another gel on between hill inn and the finish until I had actually blown, probably cost me 4-5 mins. Another one to remember for next year
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Already feeling down about being slow, now according to my certificate I am officially "2nd Class"! Next year...
    Swa cwæð eardstapa

Quote Originally Posted by eardstapa View Post
    Already feeling down about being slow, now according to my certificate I am officially "2nd Class"! Next year...
    You've got to be bloody fast to get up to 1st Class. The cut-off looks to be 3h40, with a superhuman 3h15 for elite.
    Friends in high places.

First 3P & loved it - thanks for all the great advice on this thread. Pebble-dashed on Pen-Y-Ghent, sunburned on Ingleborough, but much better that than high winds. Brilliantly organised, marshalled, & friendly.

Finished in 4.15, now & if I can just have more confidence in ropey ankle, maybe there's 15.5 minutes to come off next time...

Although being a touch disappointed at first, I'm now feeling a bit smug about being first class. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    You've got to be bloody fast to get up to 1st Class. The cut-off looks to be 3h40, with a superhuman 3h15 for elite.
    I wish they'd get rid of that class thing. It's bollocks
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

No, it has given me a new challenge for next year! I was happy to do sub 4 as a first timer, but now I need to go back next year and get a first class. I already know where I need to make up time, so I think it could be achieveable.... just!

I tend to think people cramp more on this than other long fell races because of the amount of flat(ish) fast(ish) running involved. Most long fell races tend to be more broken up and there are more opportunities to slip a little walk in. Also Whernside is very steep at the top then pretty steep and straight into hard running off the top. I found I benifited from treating it a little bit more like a marathon and getting a bit more long flat road work in, if your training for long Lakes or Scottish/Welsh races the hills look after themselves to a degree. Sounds like most people had a good day and some great times.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Indeed that_fjell_guy. I mixed my training 50:50 road and fell. I made up 50 places on the section from PYG to Ribblehead as a result I think, but still had cramp all the way from Whernside (calves) to the end (adductos & calves on the way down Ingleborough)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    I wish they'd get rid of that class thing. It's bollocks
    Not sure I like this idea either. Its a long hard run just to get told your 2nd class. Better to give a medal for achieving a specific time. Say sub 3.30-40 hrs or something? I think Gisborough Moors Race used to give medals for a sub 90 mins result.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com