Page 416 of 430 FirstFirst ... 316366406414415416417418426 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,160 of 4300

Thread: Three Peaks Fell Race

I was one of those too......very disappointed as I missed the cut off by a minute but queued for what seemed like ages at the foot of Whernside.There must have been at least 40 to 50 people in that queue, and I did feel sorry for the marshall there as he was getting a bit of flack. I think the race organisers should have allowed for this at the Hill Inn check point. I asked one of the officials to phone the race organiser, but he wasn't for budging on the cut-off time. Looking at my Strava Trace - it's telling me 3 hours 19 mins moving time - allowing for 2 or 3 mins at dibber stations - it does suggest a wait of 7 or 8 mins in that queue!

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    On another note, everyone had to queue to get over the wall at the bottom of Whernside because the farmer had wired a load of pallets across the access point. It took at least five minutes to get through and lots of people missed the cut off at Hill Inn as a result. I'm not sure what can be done to address this in future but it seems that the farmer really didn't want people going through so there must be some kind of issue there. I feel for those that were timed out that would have made it were it not for the queue.
    I was quite lucky when I reached this point as there was only a small queue. But some runners have spoken of a huge queue and waiting for 5 minutes or more. This is a real pity for those who missed the cut off as a result. I hope this problem doesn't repeat itself in the future as it is a real shame if that is what makes the difference between getting through and getting timed out at the Hill Inn.
    As for my race, my legs decided to run about 30 mins slower than last year. I kept telling them to move quicker but they just ignored me!
    The marshals, as usual, were brilliant. How can they stand there being blasted by a hailstorm and still be unfailingly cheerful and encouraging as the runners stumble past? Many thanks to all of them.

I have been looking at PPP finishers over the decades. Weather conditions vary but interestingly:

2016 703

2015 702

2014 704

Quote Originally Posted by CalFerguson View Post
    Haha, yes, I was one of those! Missed the cut off by 3 minutes but spent 5 minutes in the queue there, fine margins hey! Will be back next year in a fitter state so I have no excuse for missing any cut off!

Well done on finishing too, recovery sounds like it's going well
    And it was a nice bus ride

Massive thanks to the Dark Peak runner who told me at the boardwalk on the Ingleborough descent that I could still get a sub 5 if I put my foot down. Glad you got your sub 5 too and thanks for my hug!!!!!!

There was alot of cramp in the race. I think for me it was the river crossing at the bottom of Whernside. You were getting hit by the cold water and then standing in a queue to climb the pallets straight after so you couldn't warm up your legs up again; I never really managed to work it out of my calves after that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    As fellrunners are we too hard on ourselves?

Way before I'd started fellrunning exercise for me was walking from pub to pub with my mates whilst on our way to the match. This type of 'exercise', especially the older you get is simply not enough....things had to change.
    I started getting into walking the fells and in no time started feeling healthier and fitter. A mate from work suggested we should attempt walking The Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge in under 12hrs. And that's exactly what we did, my Border Terrier Nellie also joined us. The three of us completed in just over 9hrs and me and my mate thought we'd conquered the world...high fives all round, even Nellie joined in. We rang up our wife's to let them know who 'fit' we were. That night we celebrated our achievement in the pubs of Horton and staggered back to the campsite a little bit hammered. I remember waking up during the night and throwing up outside my tent...Nellie was pleased, she ate it...l was too knackered to stop her.

I've ran the 3 peaks for the last 5yrs and my mate from work always asks me what time I've ran. He never fails to be impressed and often shakes his head in disbelief....similar to myself when I look at the times from some fellow runners.

So...as fellrunners, whatever time you've ran today it's impressive. You might not be pleased with your run, I wasn't pleased with mine, but 99% of the country wouldn't be able to do it.

Thanks to all concerned for another epic day out. Thought it was a lovely gesture by the race commentator in wishing Lindsey Brindle a speedy recovery following her extremely unfortunate accident whilst doing her last training run before the race.....Lindsey's a fell celebrity around our way in deepest Lancashire....top lass, get well soon.
    Great chatting with you today Darren, as I said I always look forward to your post race posts.
    The 'Biggienaught' - CVFR

My first 3P for 5 years but a fantastic race as always... although not exactly one of my best efforts. I think the Fellsman from two weeks ago could have still been hanging around in my legs, as was last Wednesday's run up Ben Nevis. I was very slightly crampy at the top of Whernside but soon ran that off only for the cramp to really come back strong on top of Ingleborough. Again I ran that off gradually on the descent to Horton but was bonking quite badly while I was at it. A mini mars bar eventually restored my running powers and I finished the last couple of miles in pretty good nick. 4:43 hrs though

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    ...I remember waking up during the night and throwing up outside my tent...Nellie was pleased, she ate it...l was too knackered to stop her.
    Far, far, far too much info 'sticks!

I had no problem with cramp and whilst I ache today, I don't have DOMS either. I think that's due to the fact that I just had no power in my legs so I just had to plod around the course. I just ran steady or walked apart from on the descents and the run in to Horton where I was able to get some speed up due to gravity
    Last edited by Hes; 01-05-2016 at 01:56 PM.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    ... the run in to Ingleborough where I was able to get some speed up due to gravity ..
    Do you mean the run in to Horton?! I can tell you that gravity was certainly not helping me on the run to Ingleborough!