Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Latest Mag

Master

Re: Latest Mag

Go to northernlymphology.com - performance socks. Three different sizes per shoe size, though shoe sizes just SML. They ask for your ankle and calf circumferences. I suspect most runners will be "small". Just over £50 with postage, but I do not want varicose veins.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Go to northernlymphology.com - performance socks. Three different sizes per shoe size, though shoe sizes just SML. They ask for your ankle and calf circumferences. I suspect most runners will be "small". Just over £50 with postage, but I do not want varicose veins.
    Great. Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    You might like to take a look at ALTIFORM stockings, which I wear and I believe are cheaper than Sigvaris, also unlike them are available in made to measure if you don't fit the standard sizes. I think you can get made to measure from Altiform for about the same money as off the peg from Sigvaris. If you scroll back on this thread you will find lots of discussion on this topic.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

A few weeks prior to the mag coming out I was trying to find out about whether Skins / 2XU etc were actually any good, or just a fashion accessory based upon a theme. What I did find out was that Hilly Clothing make compression socks to the British Standard, as quoted above.

http://www.hillyclothing.co.uk/Detai...PRESSION-SOCK/

I can't find anything about the "fashion brands" to suggest they aren't manufactured to a standard, but they certainly aren't advertising the fact if they are.

Hilly socks are also considerably cheaper, less than £15 if you shop around.

one thing worth mentioning (just incase it hasnt already been mentioned)

compression socks are different to sleves... apparently they offer a different type of compression

from a distant memory..
    socks offer more compression around the ankle and a little less around the muscle body which is better for circulation (similar to the stockings used in hospitals for patients and also flight socks)

sleeves offer a standard level down their length and are generally better for stopping wobble fatigue

generall i wear both and love both.. dont tend to notice much during the run, but as someone else pointed out, i find that the following day or so im not as sore and tight.

my advice would be dont bother with the 2xu or skins ones.. however the saucony sleves are pretty good

Master

Second long run in Sigvaris socks - 20 miles - normally I limp around the house afterwards with stiff ankles/calfs - nothing! It is as if I had just done a gentle 5 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by beasty1711 View Post
    one thing worth mentioning (just incase it hasnt already been mentioned)

compression socks are different to sleves... apparently they offer a different type of compression

from a distant memory..
    socks offer more compression around the ankle and a little less around the muscle body which is better for circulation (similar to the stockings used in hospitals for patients and also flight socks)

sleeves offer a standard level down their length and are generally better for stopping wobble fatigue

generall i wear both and love both.. dont tend to notice much during the run, but as someone else pointed out, i find that the following day or so im not as sore and tight.

my advice would be dont bother with the 2xu or skins ones.. however the saucony sleves are pretty good
    I'm out in portugal at the moment and didn't have my sleeves so wore my fitted long football socks and they've been a great help for sore calfs. It be interesting to compare them, much of the 'science' backing compression is sketchy at best, but tbh the empirical evidence in support seems quite overwhelming.

I also look proper continental in green trainers, long white socks and a matching green T shirt...I just need the cap and shades...

I re-read the article by Denise Park in the Spring issue recently and was inspired to buy a pair of Sigvaris socks which was easy, I rang Sigvaris UK and gave them the calf and ankle measurements they asked for. £25.00 is dear yes, but I can see the future benefit. I have worn them 3 times and they feel great during and after the run. I like knowing my muscles and veins are supported - now I don't need to worry about venous pooling either! Strongly recommend! And many thanks to Denise for such a brilliant article and advice. Sarah
    Last edited by nippersmith; 21-12-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: typo