Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wharfedale Off Road Marathon

Re: Wharfedale Off Road Marath

Quote Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
    Any other forumites planning on doing this on the 2nd June?
    My partner and I are entered - for the hell of it, and because it's a wonderful route through some of the best scenery in the Dales. If you've done it before, do you know if we have to keep strictly to the 'Dales Way' when leaving Grassington, or can we use the lane that runs more or less parallel to it for half a kilometre as far as GR 000 651?
    Cheers!

As far as the route description goes, it does state that you follow the Dales Way to Kettlewell. I seem to remember that runners did keep to this the year I did it ! There is a CP and water station half way along so you to return to it for that anyway.!
    If you cant change something, change the way you feel about it !

Sorry Denzil, I forgot to say we're only doing the half marathon, so wont be going to Kettlewell. It was just that first half mile out of Grassington I wondered about where it would be simpler following the lane rather than keeping to the Dales Way. We'll find out on Saturday! Looking forward to it.
    Cheers!

does anyone know the route/grid refs for the half marathon, ive got route details the full (thank Denzil), but im going to do the half??

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    Does anyone know the route/grid refs for the half marathon? cheers
    The route, I think, is the same as the full marathon to Scott Gate Lane, Grid Ref 992 682, where there's a check point. Then it drops down to Conistone, crosses the river to B6160 at 976 675. Turn left, then right after 60 yds taking farm track and footpath to join Mastiles Lane at 968 673. Up Mastiles to check point at 944 662. Continue along Mastiles to 935 657 then turn left to Bordley and check point at 943 650. Follow footpath E. to Height Laithe and unmanned check point at 958 646. Go S. across Boss Moor to unmanned check point in gateway at 957 633. Go left following footpath to Skirethorns and cross B6160 at 988 638 and down lane back to Rugby club.
    Hope the weather is kind. Have a good run.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Runningfox View Post
    The route, I think, is the same as the full marathon to Scott Gate Lane, Grid Ref 992 682, where there's a check point. Then it drops down to Conistone, crosses the river to B6160 at 976 675. Turn left, then right after 60 yds taking farm track and footpath to join Mastiles Lane at 968 673. Up Mastiles to check point at 944 662. Continue along Mastiles to 935 657 then turn left to Bordley and check point at 943 650. Follow footpath E. to Height Laithe and unmanned check point at 958 646. Go S. across Boss Moor to unmanned check point in gateway at 957 633. Go left following footpath to Skirethorns and cross B6160 at 988 638 and down lane back to Rugby club.
    Hope the weather is kind. Have a good run.
    Cheers!
    thanks very much for that.

2 questions from me!!

1. Is there a cut off point? if so, how far into the full race and what time?

2. Do you think it's too far for me? The longest I've done is that 17 mile Borrowdale recce last week! Felt ok and there was twice the climbing on that so if there are no time restrictions I should at least get round this one

I think this will be fine for you, Emmilou.

Although longer in mileage than Borrowdale, it is completely different in terms of terrain - more of a trail-run really. The climbs are fairly gentle and it is mostly good going underfoot - I ran it last year in Nike Pegasus - my normal road trainers.

A lovely race though, well-organised and nice scenery - enjoy!

MH

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    2 questions from me!!

2. Do you think it's too far for me? The longest I've done is that 17 mile Borrowdale recce last week! Felt ok and there was twice the climbing on that so if there are no time restrictions I should at least get round this one
    Just ditto to what Mountain Hare had to say. All very runnable apart form the little climb up to the Monks road out of Arncliffe, but even that doesnt come anywhere near anything form Borrowdale. I'm sure you'd be fine.

I have a route map if you want a copy, but will need to send it to your email address rather than post it here as it is 4mb in size

If you cant change something, change the way you feel about it !

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    2 questions from me!!

Ditto ditto. I ran this in 2005 and 2006 but I'm hesitating over whether I could manage Borrowdale - the reverse of your quandry!
    You can take your time over this with with no fear of a cut off - you're likely to be passing groups of walkers in the latter stages anyway. The walkers, who set out at 8.30, have until 5.30 to finish, which allows a leisurely 7 hours for the runners. Believe me, if you can recce Borrowdale and feel OK, you'll have no problem here.