Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Foel fras

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Re: Foel Fras

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Come on, let's keep this thread serious...
    Ha, I went for a run around an old Clwydian route a couple of weeks ago & it was 5 days before my legs felt happy again. You don't appreciate how fell fit you are until you've lost it. You're safe for the moment.

Slateman was fun, it was good to see so many Eryri mono-athletes show up for the run.

Best of luck to you & the rest of the squad @Slovenia.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellrunner View Post
    Ha, I went for a run around an old Clwydian route a couple of weeks ago & it was 5 days before my legs felt happy again. You don't appreciate how fell fit you are until you've lost it. You're safe for the moment.

Slateman was fun, it was good to see so many Eryri mono-athletes show up for the run.

Best of luck to you & the rest of the squad @Slovenia.
    Thanks, time trial on the bike tonight, that'll be interesting...we're all up for the fun slateman next year hopefully...need to get swimming..

Quote Originally Posted by Fellrunner View Post

Just wondering if you would like your trip to Slovenia to be funded only by Welsh speaking athletes, born to Welsh parents, who have lived & worked their entire lives in Wales, or will you take anyone's money?
    No it probably wouldn't be sustainable, unlike the fact that there seem to be more 'coaches' than runners going on the Slovenia - another great use of our WA registration fee.

Bringing this thread back to the original thing, the Foel Fras race, I had a fantastic time at this today. A small race, not massively popular, but an excellent one nevertheless.
    Worth a punt next year if you haven't done it.

Shame it clashed with the Daz H memorial race, which I hope to do next year (I wonder if they will clash again?)
    But here is the Blog from my day
    http://testedtodestruction.blogspot....race-2013.html

Thanks to the marshals and organisers etc.
    and I look forward to the results and the photos going online.

Back along the M56 and A55 today to Abergwyngregyn for my first attempt at Foel Fras. This was a North Wales Champs race but only 39 entrants.

On an overcast day but with a cool breeze off the sea, my choice of club vest was perfect for the long drag up to Drum. The cool breeze soon became a cold wind so on the steep pull up to Foel Fras TP I put a HH lifa and gloves on. Once at Foel Fras TP most of the climbing is done and then it is a mainly meandering traverse on some paths, smaller trods, rocks and tussocky grass around the back of Drosgyl and to the coll before the final short drag up to Moel Winion, during which I took my lifa off as I was overheating!
    I went straight on over the summit cairn on Moel Winion on a decent path which suddenly disappeared and then found myself in amongst calf deep bilberry, which was not as bad as it looked, down to the sheep fold. A nice grassy field and then a track under the power lines before a steep blast through knee deep bracken and a rough, even steeper eroded path to the road and the finish.
    Just under 13 miles, 3,480 feet in 2hrs 18. 18th O/A and 3rd MV60.

A really enjoyable race, and if as rumoured to be British Champs Race next year it will be a good test. The first half has all the ascent but the second half, especially if the weather is bad, will have runners going in all directions!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog