Thread: Setting a course

Smile Setting a course

I am staring at the course I have just set for the 'New Chew'o' event next march. Personally I think it is a thing of beauty. Niggling doubts persist tho'.

What do other course planners look for when setting either MM routes or single day ventures?

My ideas are based around rewarding those runners who can navigate well and make a good route choice.

Any ideas?General guidelines? good or bad experiences on MM's. Who should I talk to?

Cheers for any thoughts

Re: Setting a course

Quote Originally Posted by irontongue View Post
    I am staring at the course I have just set for the 'New Chew'o' event next march. Personally I think it is a thing of beauty. Niggling doubts persist tho'.

What do other course planners look for when setting either MM routes or single day ventures?

My ideas are based around rewarding those runners who can navigate well and make a good route choice.

Any ideas?General guidelines? good or bad experiences on MM's. Who should I talk to?

Cheers for any thoughts
    I think you've basically got it, for me I like Choices, so maybe faster longer legs that can be done over shorter rougher hillier ground. Options to cross valleys and ridges rather than a follow my leader type course, Send people unexpected ways in to unknown terrortary. Slap an OOB area between CPs so you have a choice on which way to pass.

One thig I liked on the 2009 LDMT was put a choose a CP so yo have to go to CP7 from CP5 but between the two you can pick one of three 6a,6b,6c. that really splits the field up.

Also I like avoid obvious features although you need to be able to find them, Some of Luvshacks can be fiendishly difficult to find.

Banned

Let people visit check points in any order. The D&W 3hr scores are excellent.
    Try and keep a section where a compass is important as there are no paths.

Two great ideas, that I hadn't thought of......back to the map.....cheers

I think this might be similar to Ian's first point, but something like the last section of the Edale skyline or the section from CP5 to CP6 on this years LDMT where you can do a long run around the head of the valley or a short and rough route across the valley is a good one.

In your opinion does the race organiser have to have a 'best' route in mind or is it better to let the competitors work it out.

I'd personally like the routes to be as close in time as possible, but very different in distance. That would give you the chance to play to your strengths or to make a mistake.

I don't see a problem with the organiser having an ideal route in mind, if nothing else it would make for interesting post event pub talk to find if the field agree.

Score events are great. Numptys like me, can plod along, bagging a few controls and the elites, race about collecting the lot.

Good luck:thumbup: