Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrekin Wrecker

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    well yes, I understand that and I've pretty good map memory/sense of direction, but rules is rules.

For reference regarding the attachment - does the race start with the blue or the red loop?
    A map on this race is ridiculous but as you say rules is rules. Red then pink then blue on the previous attachment is the rough route.

Well, map required or not, our minibus broke down en route and we were taken back to base on the back of an AA flat bed truck :-( Sad to miss this great race - back next year :-)
    Hills - good for the soul...
    http://honestsstories.blogspot.co.uk

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Just entered and looking forward to making up a few places on those attending the do the night before!

Full kit required apparently although, as previously pointed out, a map does seem a bit OTT.
    (No route choice, marshalled, well marked...)
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

apparently maps will be on sale at the start for £1!
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Not done this since 2014 but just noticed it's on this Sunday.
    Weather looking OK and relatively local for me (for once!) so will be giving it a go.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Hi Pete, I'll also be at this. After a good race by my standards at Breidden, this is the 2nd race in the Winter League, so hoping for a decent run. Although from my limited knowledge of the course there's some harrowing descents which might play firmly into my weaknesses!

Say hello if you see a guy in red/yellow Coventry Godiva vest, probably wearing a buff.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Hi Pete, I'll also be at this. After a good race by my standards at Breidden, this is the 2nd race in the Winter League, so hoping for a decent run. Although from my limited knowledge of the course there's some harrowing descents which might play firmly into my weaknesses!

Say hello if you see a guy in red/yellow Coventry Godiva vest, probably wearing a buff.

Pete
    Will do - I'll be the one in the black and green Mudclaws with a blue OMM bum bag - that should narrow it down to half the field!
    I'm hoping just to get round in a reasonable time as this year has been mainly cycling for me and not done much running.
    There are a few tricky descents from what I can remember and save something in the tank for the last couple of miles. It doesn't look much on the map but it sapped the hell out of my legs.

Have a good one.

Pete
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I'll be there too...in a Mercia vest
    yes, the descents are tricky:nice and loose with tree roots and yes, the "switchbacks" in the last 2-3km are horrid.
    But it's a nice race and there's chips in the Buckatree Hotel after.

and just to add:
    full kit
    maps on sale at the start for £1 but proceeds to charity

(forgot this isn't Facebook....won't reccomend shoes )

Very tough race today. When you drive along the M54 it's easy to not even notice the Wrekin to your left, especially if you are headed in the direction of the big Snowdonia Hills. But the Wrekin Wrecker goes in at the tough end of short/medium races in my eyes.

A tough but runnable first climb, followed by the toughest descent of the day. I went way out to the right hand side, not because the terrain was any easier, but to get away from the sliding and falling bodies all over the place. Relieved to only lose half a dozen places on that section.

Next a long undulating run on the flanks of the mountain, followed by a real mean climb, probably only 10-12 minutes but no let up. At this point my legs were about gone, but managed to pick things up with a nippy final descent, and as energy-sapping as the last couple of km were, I knew that once on the relative flat I wasn't going to lose too much ground, think I overtook a couple and lost one.

Pretty contented with today's race. Overall I'm improving and statistically (comparing time to winner's time) it was a good run. Was rather alarmed by the mid-race slump, and lack of spring up the main climb (although it was a very steep one, I'd expect to use it to my advantage). But by the same token my descending has improved markedly thanks to some dedicated practice and really concentrating. Also pleased how I weathered the storm of my slump, and pulled things together for the final few km.

Hello to PeteS, I didn't see you after the start, hope it went well. And also a big shout to DaveMole, as always we were in close attendance and today was a real ding-dong, and still had time to encourage me as I hung on up the last climb.

Great turnout... not far off 200 I believe.

Pete