Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: girls get nervous

Master and MR

girls get nervous

cmon fellruner ladies
    i would like your experiences

im trying to introduce some of the slower lady runners at our club to the joys of midweek club races and some bigger races in general and possibly a fell race or three

trouble is ive found that lots of them tell me
    daz we panick cos we get nervous, training is no problem but racing , urrrrggh.

now on tuesday night i asked threee , no i begged three ladies to try our club race next week and of course my charm worked and they have said yes but one lady has just rang me and said she thinks that she will panick to much.

i know its not just ladies but guys who suffer as well
    something thats never bothered me and im starting to wonder if this is a bigger problem than i first thought.
    how do you get a lass to the start line without that fear creeping in, ive told them they wont come last but i feel a bit bad now as though ive pushed them into something they dont want to do.

could it be that cos we are justa running club and not an athletic club ( ie) not that competetive i shouldnt really cajoule them to much

Master and MR

Re: girls get nervous

and sorry i didnt finish but my idea was to get them to do a couple of low key races and then a small fell race

trouble is if i say do a fell race they will run for the hills in panick

ladies please tell me was you nervous at your first race

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    and sorry i didnt finish but my idea was to get them to do a couple of low key races and then a small fell race

trouble is if i say do a fell race they will run for the hills in panick

ladies please tell me was you nervous at your first race

er....... YES!!! If I remember rightly I was cowering at the back of the field, no spit, white as a sheet and pretty much still get like that!!

I get nervous thinking of the race days even weeks before!!

Daft really but just the way I am - the only thing I'd say is it's an amazing sense of achievement when it's all over - especially the races in the lakes - I look back at the mountain and think "I've just climbed that"!! (not bad for someone not liking heights!)

It's difficult to say wether coercing the club ladies is the right thing or not? At the end of the day they can always say no and sometimes a bit of gentle persuassion is apreciated in the long run. We are all different though so they may thank you or lynch you

Interesting discussion this one. I think men and women feel apprehension at the start of something and a little friendly encouragement is usually welcome. I'm relatively new to this business and feel edgy at the start of races, but it's a challenge and if you don't like it, don't come back. I'm sure the most people would be pleased for the chance to have a go.

I am not under any illusions about performance... never come last but always in the final third by a comfy margin (in fells and triathlon), but is that a problem? I set my own targets and go and enjoy it.

OK, some people are far more competitive and cannot accept those kinds of results but many of the people I come across are of a similar view.

As for women being more nervous than blokes, maybe they just admit it more. I am an intensve care nurse and many of my colleagues are very accomplished, very confident and a damned sight quicker than me.

Encourage them to have a go and if they enjoy it, you've done them a favour... just don't be too surprised if they end up beating you!

Im terrible , still after 3 years I get worked up especially a few days before the race I dont ever think I cant do a race or else I just wouldnot enter it.
    I think I get more nervous now becaouse Im getting more competitive I know I will never be a race winner but we still compete where ever we are in the race.
    I think you do right Daz encouraging the ladies to get out there, they may thank you for it one day .

Hmmm, well what maloni has said makes me think that perhaps it depends on the reason they are nervous.

I am very very slow and I get nervous about being last by miles, or worry that I can't do it - I worry about putting myself out of the comfort zone - but then maloni say she worries more because shes getting better and wants to do well.

Maybe it's just nerves about not doing very well relative to whatever stage you are at.

Actually I am rambling on about rubbish so I will shut up!

I've come last before now & it's not the worst thing that can happen in a race

(The smaller the field, the higher the probability - probably why mass events like FLM & GNR are so popular with beginners...)

Thing is, it can only get better after that, so it's not a bad place to go from!

(i've even collected a prize for coming last before now - that's a tad embarassing though! )

Quote Originally Posted by Britta View Post
    I've come last before now & it's not the worst thing that can happen in a race

(The smaller the field, the higher the probability - probably why mass events like FLM & GNR are so popular with beginners...)

Thing is, it can only get better after that, so it's not a bad place to go from!

(i've even collected a prize for coming last before now - that's a tad embarassing though! )
    it shouldn't be embarassing to fininsh last, after all we all start somewhere? i know a lot of people are just happy to be able to run round! it's an achivement within itself, if you don't take part you will never know.

Thumbs up girls get nervous

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    cmon fellruner ladies
    i would like your experiences
    trouble is ive found that lots of them tell me
    daz we panick cos we get nervous, training is no problem but racing , urrrrggh.
    i know its not just ladies but guys who suffer as well
    something thats never bothered me and im starting to wonder if this is a bigger problem than i first thought.
    how do you get a lass to the start line without that fear creeping in, ive told them they wont come last but i feel a bit bad now as though ive pushed them into something they dont want to do.
    could it be that cos we are justa running club and not an athletic club ( ie) not that competetive i shouldnt really cajoule them to much
    Its a confidence thing Daz H.
    I've noticed that females, because they are more dedicated & do not want to let the side down, are more apprehensive about their performances than males.
    I think that its because generally girls play less sport than boys & are not used to losing as often that they think more, whereas boys just get on with it & do not worry as much.
    I've discussed this with other coaches & they usually notice the same.

Regards,

Max.
    "Do as little as needed not as much as possible" - Henk Kraayenhof.

Never be afraid to take a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    it shouldn't be embarassing to fininsh last, after all we all start somewhere?
    It is not a question of starting last, more a concern about finishing last.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker