Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Search and rescue Helicopters

Search and rescue Helicopters

Just heard on the news that the Govenment want to privatise Search and rescue so they get a new fleet of helicopters.Privately run with civil pilots.What a bloody stupid idea and dam dangerous

Re: Search and rescue Helicopt

It will never happen. S&R both RAF and RN would still need there own service in times of conflict, they would be out training any way and the best form of training is real jobs.

They definitely need new helicopter though the last one I flew in was the one that crashed on Gimmer a few years ago. they are all well passed the sellby date.

Beside what would the the future king do for a job if they got rid of the S&R

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Beside what would the the future king do for a job if they got rid of the S&R
    They made a point of that on the story saying his stint would be over.Apparently labour had plans for this to.The decision now is with the treasury.

looks like i need to get my insurance sorted out ( a privatised S&R sevice will surely end up charging, a la the swiss model)
    also... will it be as good Chris Lloyd, of Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue, which covers Snowdonia, said: “We don’t know much about the contract but there are some advantages and some disadvadvantages.
    “In terms of advantages, it could mean new aircraft because a lot of the Sea Kings are 25 to 30 years old. Unfortunately, the disadvantages of this are that any new aircraft will be much larger and therefore less able to get close into the mountains.”

Er so you can only have accidents on flat bits then ??

As to the age of the sea kings shows the lack of any overall plan by politicos over the years ...short of maoney ..just keep them working for a few more years then it will be SEP. Might be joining those students yet.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...#ixzz181aX6sBi
    Last edited by creaky; 13-12-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: double statement

i spent 2 years with RAF Mountain Rescue at RAF Valley in the late 70's. wonder what will happen to Mountain rescue if no RAF helicopters to support them?

This is bonkers. Casualty evacuation by helicopter is a key skill for the military. Admittedly, at the moment, the front line crews are getting more than enough experience to stay sharp in afghanistan but where and how are you going to train crews? I remember a few years ago, the helicopter training school at Odiham used to casevac train by picking up sacks dumped in fields when there were real bodies lying in real wreckage on the nearby M3/M4/M25 complex. It's a typical example of a lack of 'joined up thinking' and poor cross department financing and all to do with short termism cost cutting versus long term strategic planning. Lets hope common sense prevails but, as experience shows, common sense is as vulnerable as logic in these circumstances.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    This is bonkers. Casualty evacuation by helicopter is a key skill for the military.
    Lets hope common sense prevails but, as experience shows, common sense is as vulnerable as logic in these circumstances.
    More often than not they are out training some where when they're tasked to a real rescue so flight time doesn't change that much. Othere Helicopters are used by MR Air ambulance, Police etc. What we would loose is the ability to winch out from tricky locations, deep gullys, river beds, steep faces.

What ever happens the Sea King helicopters need replacing.

It will be interesting to see the increase in fell race insurance premiums when the SAR service is privatised.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    They definitely need new helicopter though the last one I flew in was the one that crashed on Gimmer a few years ago. they are all well passed the sellby date.
    The first one I flew in was a piston engined whirlwind.
    It might not necessarily lead to continental style charges for rescue by helicopter if HMG thinks it can provide this service to the military (and coincidentally to the public) by paying a private concern less than it costs them now to provide it in its current form - ie it may remain government funded. I suppose difficulties might arise asking civilian pilots and crew to fly operationally in combat zones, so it probably makes more sense to preserve it as it is but I dont think this service was ever really intended for the likes of us, it has just evolved in to that. Its really there to rescue crashed military aircrew and take troops in to battle.
    Last edited by Mark G; 14-12-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    It will be interesting to see the increase in fell race insurance premiums when the SAR service is privatised.
    I can't see it making much difference, The first call would go out to Helimed, if they are busy then it would go to RAF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    The first one I flew in was a piston engined whirlwind.
    It might not necessarily lead to continental style charges for rescue by helicopter if HMG thinks it can provide this service to the military (and coincidentally to the public) by paying a private concern less than it costs them now to provide it in its current form - ie it may remain government funded. I suppose difficulties might arise asking civilian pilots and crew to fly operationally in combat zones, so it probably makes more sense to preserve it as it is but I dont think this service was ever really intended for the likes of us, it has just evolved in to that. Its really there to rescue crashed military aircrew and take troops in to battle.
    There priority is still for downed aircraft- military rescue.
    Should private companies take over SAR for the military, who do you suppose would pilot them. Yep it will be the same pilots witha different cap on.