Thread: BGR attempt in july

BGR attempt in july

HI

£ of us attempting BGR in july , 3 inexperienced runners but all quite fit. Want to start doing some reccies in january onwards. Any tips advice etc. Got a few offers for pacers/navigating etc
    Been told we will get help of here if we ask kindly . We would also like to offer our services in any way prior to our attempt if we can be off help, we would be glad to.

Well if any1 doing attempts after January an wants helps or just planning on doing a leg an fancy some comapny let us know. I have never been to the lakes so feel some time up there would help, 2 mates have been there many times

Appreciate it thanks again

Re: BGR attempt in july

You could always get on the Dark Peak bus, theres a nice wide track &they y normally spoon feed people around.

Hi Chamber34...good luck with the attempt. I would strongly advise you to ensure each individual has their own support team. Group efforts can quickly go wrong as tiredness kicks in and one or more begin to fall behind schedule. It's scarier thinking about it as a solo attempt but your chances of successes will be much better. You need that selfish mental attitude

Quote Originally Posted by chamber34 View Post
    . I have never been to the lakes so feel some time up there would help, 2 mates have been there many times

Appreciate it thanks again
    Oh dear, fishing line, float, bait on end wonder who will bite!
    Going to try again....

I learned a great deal from my failed attempt in late September. Multiple runners are OK, but they need their own support unless you were mates in the marines who never left a man behind.
    Don't underestimate the need for vaseline post Dummail. A tight road crew is as important as the pacers. The more rounds your can support before your attempt the better. Make sure you keep track of time yourself, don't just leave it to pacers. I needed to do more than 10k of climb a week, some distance was also required in my case. Do some go over all the route with folks who know it, they can show you much better lines than you can work out yourself. The best bit of training for and doing a round is the folks you meet. The goal is to finish in 24 hours, but really its the journey that is important.

Do get in touch for some training runs after the new year. Be fun.

Roll on 13th of May.

Quote Originally Posted by AmbitionExceedsability View Post
    . Multiple runners are OK, but they need their own support unless you were mates in the marines who never left a man behind.
    On my first failed attempt back in the 1980s I stuck with my mate(who happens to be an ex Royal) when he began to struggle and we lost so much time that we retired at Wasdale. I dont know if I would have got around alone, probably not as I was very inexperienced but the point was that staying with him put it out of my reach regardless.
    On another attempt a decade later I was the one struggling and I had to persuade my friend to go on ahead with one of our pacers somewhere in the Langdales. It took a bit of persuasion but on he went and round he got. So have enough pacers and be prepared to split if necessary - you cant all expect to be going well/badly at the same times over 24 hours and if you stay together you will invariably go at the speed of the slowest, which will be all of you at different times if you see what I mean.

Fat lad whats the dark peak bus mate?

Amex i have never been ther, my 2 mates have been Mamy times, i will get a few before i go! not fishin mate want genuine advice thas all

Thanks ambition that be good an appreciated, you donin BGR on 3th may?

Quote Originally Posted by Fat-Lad View Post
    You could always get on the Dark Peak bus, theres a nice wide track &they y normally spoon feed people around.
    Quote Originally Posted by philbrynmaen View Post
    Hi Chamber34...good luck with the attempt. I would strongly advise you to ensure each individual has their own support team. Group efforts can quickly go wrong as tiredness kicks in and one or more begin to fall behind schedule. It's scarier thinking about it as a solo attempt but your chances of successes will be much better. You need that selfish mental attitude
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber34 View Post
    Fat lad whats the dark peak bus mate?

Amex i have never been ther, my 2 mates have been Mamy times, i will get a few before i go! not fishin mate want genuine advice thas all

Thanks ambition that be good an appreciated, you donin BGR on 3th may?
    Dark Peak bus indeed, It is a well oil machine with a very impressive record on the BG, 8/8 2010 8/10 2009 9/10 2008 etc I think

Alas though to get on the bus these days you need to have supported at least one other Dark peak round. Richard tells me he gets about 10-15 requests a year to join in. but unless you add to the pot you can't take from it.

If you are doing it in a group then stick together until Wasdale, If we have say 8 going we have 1-2 navigators and 4-5 pacers until Wasdale then have at least one pacer per attemptee as you allow them to go at there own pace.

Iandarkpeak

How do i get in contact with Richard then? would be glad to support at least 1 run would do more if i can. Would appreciate any help ,an dark peak seems to have good record according to your figures, . . Thanks
    peter