Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Blorenge

Re: The Blorenge Sat 27th Nov

Quote Originally Posted by The_Saint View Post
    Here we go
    "Hello Dominic
    You're right about the average figure that we use, and it is 40:38 (2438 seconds) for Machen. Your initial score is the percentage by which your time exceeds this average time. In your case your time of 51.42 (3102 seconds) was
    664 seconds more than the average, which is 27.2% (approx.). However, if we used that as the score, then people with low scores would be at the top of the table, and in theory anyone who didn't turn up for any races could win on the basis of having scored zero! There are various ways of dealing with this, such as insisting people actually do a certain number of races in order to be included, but the way we decided was best was to take each score away from 100, which results in people at the top of the table having big scores rather than little ones. Then we can forget about the people who don't turn up, as they will be at the bottom of the table anyway. In your case 27.2 from 100 gives 72.8 (approx.). The race winner (at least) has a time greater then the average, so his or her initial score is negative, and when subtracted from 100 gives a figure of 100+. At the other end of the spectrum, anyone who takes more than twice the average time should get a negative score, but our clever spreadsheet designer (Kay Lucas) has put in a few well place "ifs" so that any negative score is replaced by a "1". So you can't score less than someone who didn't turn up!"
    TS - thanks for the explanation - It did puzzle me how some where over 100 and also how some had the same score but were seraprated by a few seconds and in different places - that would explain it.

Thanks
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

great race again today. no snow but the b*gger is still just as steep. All hail to toffer who had a stormin run up only to be waylaid by a hamstring tear. too much cycling!! Red wine, bowmore scotch and a montechristo now relieving my pain! aah haaaa!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Well I was pleasantly surprised that the blorenge was still as steep as I remembered and slippy as hell coming back down through the woods. First race in 18 months and I'm chomping at the bit to do more. Good to see you again Wheeze, see you at the next one.
    How much is that doggie in the window.........?:w00t:

Hey, good run Lookma. And, wow, results and pictures are on the WFRA website ALREADY! Way to go The Taylors and Al Tye. Service at the speed of light!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    great race again today. no snow but the b*gger is still just as steep. All hail to toffer who had a stormin run up only to be waylaid by a hamstring tear. too much cycling!! Red wine, bowmore scotch and a montechristo now relieving my pain! aah haaaa!
    Yes, a noble and most glorious failure!! Still the sheer oxygen deprivation pain on the climb sufficed as a hit. What price more mayhem on Tor y Foel????

First run back after a 4 month layoff......ooooowwwwww! The hill that never ends! Blummin' marvellous!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Winter league races are in good health. Excellent fields and lots of new faces. Great stuff.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    First run back after a 4 month layoff......ooooowwwwww! The hill that never ends! Blummin' marvellous!
    Thats good to hear you are back and also at the mighty Blorenge! I had a christening but hope to make some more races in the near future.