Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: INOV8 Mudclaw 272. Grippy? NOT

INOV8 Mudclaw 272. Grippy? NOT

Is it just me or are the new Mudclaw 272 absolutely USELESS on any wet hard surface.
    I have only had a pair a few days and I have already slipped over on my patio, on paved paths on Mam Tor and on a bit of downhill road.
    Fab grip on grass, yes! But on hard surfaces, no grip.
    I have other Inov8 shoes with sticky rubber soles and they are excellent on all wet rock/road etc.
    Have I got a duff pair or do they need wearing in a bit?

Re: INOV8 Mudclaw 272. Grippy?

Need wearing in abit, mine are awsome the best shoes ive ever bought will never buy anything else for the fells now.
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Spookster View Post
    ...I have already slipped over on my patio, on paved paths on Mam Tor and on a bit of downhill road. ...
    I suggest you visit your GP asap

On a serious note, no rubber sticks on wet rock!
    ydt

Could be there's still 'mould release agent' on the rubber making it a bit slippery. I guess these shoes are never going to be brilliant on hard wet surfaces because the pointed studs give you less contact surface area, compared with, say, x-talons, mudrocs or even roclites with their flat studs.

Used to have a pair of 270s but found them very unstable - heel going over to either side so much that I wore down the seams at the heal (still managed to get them exchanged though ). Any idea whether the 272 are an improvement in this respect? - could do with a shoe like this again for the mud.

Master

This is the second shoe review recently where there have been widely differing opinions on grip on wet hard surfaces - the other being the Sportiva Crosslites. Is it just that they all need to develop some roughness underneath before they can grip? Or does some sort of outer coating need to wear off?

Interesting this as I am tempted to invest in a pair. Did 8 miles this morning over Baildon/Ilkley Moors in the mud, in my Roclite 312's, and was all over the place in the mud ! I've used 312's/320's for the past few years, but having done the FTOP the other week in my 212's have decided that I need more grip & less cushioning. Especially in winter when the ground is soft.

tried my new 272's this weekend.....i have wide feet, and the excessive width of the shoe made them feel very poor on steep descents & coupled with the useless laces, far worse than my old 330 which are a closer fit.

i also thought the 'grippy' rubber studs seemed a bit more flexible and not give the traction of a more solid stud.....Walshes next i think...too much BS with inov-8

Quote Originally Posted by trilathon View Post
    tried my new 272's this weekend.....i have wide feet, and the excessive width of the shoe made them feel very poor on steep descents & coupled with the useless laces, far worse than my old 330 which are a closer fit.

i also thought the 'grippy' rubber studs seemed a bit more flexible and not give the traction of a more solid stud.....Walshes next i think...too much BS with inov-8
    Horses for courses i think there mega grippy i ant slipped once (maybe not fast enough), i also love the mizuno like laces
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Jez, I plod around much the same area that you run, and I recently got hold of some Walsh Ultra extremes (or whatever!). The grip is excellent, jand being as they all seem to have the same sole unit, it might be worth trying them.
    For what it's worth, in my experience a lot depends on the kind of rock you're on; If it's wet limestone, NOTHING seems to grip, it's just a fact of life. Smooth stones under water are a bugger too, flat slabs can be awkward in the wet, but the walshes seem to cope better than most with wet rocky paths such as crisss-cross Ilkley Moor.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by plodding bear View Post
    Jez, I plod around much the same area that you run, and I recently got hold of some Walsh Ultra extremes (or whatever!). The grip is excellent, jand being as they all seem to have the same sole unit, it might be worth trying them.
    For what it's worth, in my experience a lot depends on the kind of rock you're on; If it's wet limestone, NOTHING seems to grip, it's just a fact of life. Smooth stones under water are a bugger too, flat slabs can be awkward in the wet, but the walshes seem to cope better than most with wet rocky paths such as crisss-cross Ilkley Moor.
    and there was you when we first met telling me you didn't fancy walshes - converted?
    Coniv-8 not knowingly evidenced to improve performance