Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Corner

Re: Book Corner

I'm still trying to get round to finishing my holiday book, 'Hops & Glory' by Pete Brown. It's a sort of travel book about the trials of a beer writers quest to take a barrel of pale ale from Burton upon Trent to India using the old East India trading route. The story of the journey is intertwined with a history of colonial Britain. The comparisons with modern corporate institutions are quite enlightening.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Crash by J G Ballard
    Like the new sig DT, i'm reading 'How to beat the winter weather' by Mahatma Coat MaHeadscarf:wink:
    Then i'll be starting 'Bloody freezing' by Bin Warmer.
    Hills and Guinness!

I've just finished The Indian Mutiny by Saul David - jesus the Victorians in India (in 1857) were hard bastards.... and more than a tad brutal. It was really interesting read though, although the author made it a bit hard going in places.

Re-reading the fantastic Slavomir Rawicz's "The Long Walk". If you haven't read it... tut tut!

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    Like the new sig DT, i'm reading 'How to beat the winter weather' by Mahatma Coat MaHeadscarf:wink:
    Then i'll be starting 'Bloody freezing' by Bin Warmer.
    Haha! That made me laugh, or lol as they say on the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by freckle View Post
    Ooooo I like the idea of a book corner L.F.F, especially when it is all snowy and cold outside...

I have just finished "what I talk about when I talk about running" by haruki murakami which I really enjoyed..particularly liked his thoughts on how the act of running has helped him write, very interesting concept...but there is much more in the book about appreciating our own mortality, dealing with ageing positively and the bonds between runners...lovely stuff!

My friends and I have started a book group the first read will be "Norwegian Wood" by the aforementioned author.....be interested to hear how the Clare biog goes Alfster x
    I read Norwegian Wood a while ago. I bought it as I'm a fan of Norway and love a couple of Scandinavian authors, such as Knut Hamsun, not realising that it was a reference to a Beatles song and was set in Japan! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Tim, I love all Knut Hamsun's books, but I'd really recommend The Growth of the Soil, Mysteries and The Women at the Pump (apart from Hunger which it sounds like you've read and which is probably my favourite book ever!). Thanks for the tip about the publishers.

I'm currently ploughing through Xeelee by Stephen Baxter. It's four books in one and is about a kajillion pages long. It's hard to read in bed as it's too heavy to lift up when lying sideways.

The first book in it was quite good. The next two were pretty rubbish and I'm half way through the last one and it seems to be picking up somewhat. It's got some great sci fi concepts in it but I find the narrative style too one-paced and very skin-deep. So far, I'll give it a 6 out of 10 and probably wouldn't recommend it except as a doorstop.

I loved NOrwegian Wood, and I have What I talk about when I talk about running as well, but not read it yet. I do rate Murakami highly as an author...

Currently about to finish 'It is all about the Bike' by Robb Penn, an author very local to me... So far it has been an excellent read, but I reckon only for the bike geeks amongst us!
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

I liked Norwegian wood too - well, I haven't read it, but I can hum along!
    (sorry!)
    That one you're reading LFF - is it that ultra running guy? I saw that, quite fancy it...
    just re-reading that "Born to Run" by Chris Mcdougall. Excellent, nearly as good as "Feet in the Clouds" which is saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by plodding bear View Post
    I liked Norwegian wood too - well, I haven't read it, but I can hum along!
    (sorry!)
    That one you're reading LFF - is it that ultra running guy? I saw that, quite fancy it...
    just re-reading that "Born to Run" by Chris Mcdougall. Excellent, nearly as good as "Feet in the Clouds" which is saying something.
    Hi PB, yes he's an ultra running guy. From what I've read so far he's done some unbelieveable things and I think one of his greatest achievements was doing the Pennine Way in under three days. Really interesting book on what it takes to do these kind of things. Would recommend it.