Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sealskinz - any good?

Re: Sealskinz - any good?

I too have the SealSkinz Ultra Grip Waterproof Gloves and they are chuffing dire for cycling in cold weather because they are so blooming cold. Quite useful in single figure temps where they are both reasonably waterproof and 'tactile'.
    However I'm pleased with the socks. They are waterproof although they don't quite hug your contours. Depends where you wear them I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFrog View Post
    However I'm pleased with the socks. They are waterproof although they don't quite hug your contours. Depends where you wear them I suppose.
    I find they go quite well on my feet (terribly old-fashioned I know) ;-)

Socks are great, waterproof and warm. The gloves ok, waterproof naye too warm though!
    Consider yourself lightly; consider the world deeply.

Hmmm, having just got back from running in freezing cold slush, on balance I think I'll put them on my Chrimbo list and take a chance - not my money after all!

Cheers for all the advice everyone!

I bought the SealSkinz Ultra Grip Waterproof Gloves for The Full Tour Of Pendle & my hands were cold & wet within the hour. Waste of £30 ! THere's a picture on the front of the packaging of a guy dipping his hand in a stream too !

WATCH OUT! There are many different models in the Sealskinz socks range. SEE HERE If you are the sort of person who feels overwhelmed by the choice of Inov8 shoes, you will suffer here. It really is best to buy from a shop where you can try the socks on, as the sizes vary between models, and also have changed since I last bought them. Do not assume, as I did, that what fitted you in the past will still do so - you will just have to send them back. AND in large outlets like Nevisport and Cotswold, the last time I looked, they were only offering 2 newer models which are closer fitting than the old and which even in the largest sizes are not big enough for me to wear over thin liners (in size 9 - 9.5 Inov8s). I was despairing until I visited Out & About in Harrogate and they explained the situation and came up with the older model Sealskinz Mid Light socks. Even then I needed the XL size, so I don't know what large chaps with seriously big feet can do.

I find Sealskinz socks a godsend. Carole Engel (who co-organises the Hebden and has a hand in the apple crumble) explained to me how to get the best out of them. DO NOT WASH THEM UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. I regard them as another form of shoes (they cost about the same). I never wash my shoes and I rarely wash my Sealskinz. I protect them on the inside with thin liner socks (Coolmax in summer, polypropylene in winter) and on the outside with Shorty Event gaiters (which also help prevent their being swamped when wading through streams). If I had to, I would wash them by hand in cold water only (no detergent or soap) and drip dry.
    Last edited by Alexandra; 04-12-2010 at 10:18 PM.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Sounds like you've been unlucky, or I've been lucky: both my pairs have been (genuinely) waterproof. Though, as I said earlier, this only works if you don't go through water above ankle-depth. They don't have a silicon seal onto your lower shin!
    Not unlucky at all.

In my experience, water proof they are not, unless you stand still and don't move in them- which is hardly what fellrunners want them for!!!. What they do achieve however is warm feet even when wet - so I continue to wear mine such as when running in snow and across chilled blanket bog. I've met several people who have had the same disappointing experience of these socks.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Interesting...but has anyone actually tested them out?
    no I haven't tussockface, but I believe they are similar to these which I have tried:

http://www.uttingsoutdoors.co.uk/Pro...tex-sock-8011/

I got my Rockys from Canada, not sure if anywhere stocks them here now

they are like a gore-tex shell that you put over normal socks

can be tricky to get the size right (they have hardly any stretch in them), and they feel odd at first, but they worked perfectly - until I ruined them by putting them in the wash

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Been out in mine today wading through deep snow and had toasty warm feet. Feet slightly damp at the end, but I would put that down to sweat not leaking. I can't see the problem with getting wet feet except when it is so cold there is a risk of loosing all feeling in your toes. So long as my feet are not cold I don't mind if they are wet or not.

I've done about 25 mile this week all off road, and all in between 8-12" of snow. I ran in my Walshes with 2 pairs of socks and whilst my feet were fairly damp/wet by the end of each run they weren't ever cold. I just don't suffer with cold feet if I'm honest. I wore 2 pairs of socks just in case but I suspect I would've been fine with just 1 pair.