Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Graham for Sir Ran

Re: Bob Graham for Sir Ran

How did Sir R get the Best Briton award for sport ?on last nights telly awards thingy.
    i know he`s a great adventurer and explorer but a sportsman???

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    How did Sir R get the Best Briton award for sport ?on last nights telly awards thingy.
    i know he`s a great adventurer and explorer but a sportsman???
    Cos he got dragged up the Eiger by Kenton Cool and Ian Parnell .

Did he really get the Best Briton Award for Sport based on the Eiger ascent?! It's impressive that he controlled his fear and put in the hard work to get up it - and raised lots for charity. But it's hardly a sporting achievement doing a guided ascent of anything. I never thought mountaineering counted as a sport anyway. If it does, Kenton and Ian were far more worthy for some of their Greater Ranges madness.

Thumbs up Re: Bob Graham for Sir Ran

I too have been overtaken during a long, dark, windy and cold night by Sir Ran on more than one occasion. Given his performance on the Watershed consistently over the years - and winning often - I wouldn't bet against him doing a BG. He has the right mental attitude. By which I mean that given his exploits, he's obviously mental. Good luck to him. He's obviously capable of it and I hope it all goes well for him. It's great to see him active like this at his age, even if he did have to saw his own fingers off in the shed.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Thats how he makes a living isn't it?
    I'll be more impressed with this than his Eiger stunt though

Bill
    Done the Eiger and believe me its no stunt!!! By the way, how old are you? If you can contemplate a BG at Ran's age I'm sure all will be impressed.It really does get harder as we get older (that only applies to life alas) No offence intended>

It would be interesting to know how many people who have climbed the North Face of the Eiger who have then done the Bob Graham, I know a few. Fell running seems to be the retirement home for aged climbers!!!! Too old to climb, too young to stop enjoying the challenge of the mountains!!!!

Spot on!!

Quote Originally Posted by little binnian View Post
    It would be interesting to know how many people who have climbed the North Face of the Eiger who have then done the Bob Graham, I know a few. Fell running seems to be the retirement home for aged climbers!!!! Too old to climb, too young to stop enjoying the challenge of the mountains!!!!
    I know at least one mate who has done both; and maybe a few others, order not really important!?
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Too old to climb?!

Just read this on UKClimbing: "Rab with his mate Al Austin have both just redpointed their first 8a at Malham, New Age Traveler, just a few months before their 60th birthdays."

8a roughly translates as E7!!

Quote Originally Posted by TODDIE View Post
    Done the Eiger and believe me its no stunt!!! By the way, how old are you? If you can contemplate a BG at Ran's age I'm sure all will be impressed.It really does get harder as we get older (that only applies to life alas) No offence intended>
    This is a stunt
    I think in climbing doing a guided ascent of the eiger north face in 5 days is not very news worthy even by someone in their sixties, I'm sure there are lots of older climbers capable of doing it without guides, saying that a lot of them seem to be sport climbing these days
    I'm 43 and at times struggle to contemplate a BG now thats why I think Ran doing a BG IS impressive, if you've been a climber you should know all the helpRan would get from Cool and Parnell, but on a BG its all under your own steam, so while I'm cynical with the eiger I'm willing to be impressed if he gets round the BG.

Bill