Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When to eat.

Master and MR

Re: When to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Little and often and then when you have finished stuff yourself stupid and drink pints. Of beer.

Def cant beat having a sceintific approach to it

Senior Member Don't fear the sweeper's Avatar

The OP was asking about training runs. If he is training for ultras then he'll want to train himself to burn fat, in which case he shouldn't eat to start but only when he he feels his power is waning.

Quote Originally Posted by Don't fear the sweeper View Post
    The OP was asking about training runs. If he is training for ultras then he'll want to train himself to burn fat, in which case he shouldn't eat to start but only when he he feels his power is waning.
    I'd disagree with that.. if you're training for ultras, long training runs are the time to get your feeding strategy nailed and to experiment with what foods work for you and what don't. Attempting what is effectively "bonk training" is ineffective, outdated and, in a fell environment, potentially dangerous. As long as you're working at a low enough intensity you'll be developing your fat metabolism but it's not an on/off switch so you'll still need carbs. The other big problem with running yourself so low is that recovery from the session will take far longer and your training the following week will suffer. Finishing a good ultra training session you should feel strong and as if you could carry on, consistent nutrition is key to this.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    I'd disagree with that.. if you're training for ultras, long training runs are the time to get your feeding strategy nailed and to experiment with what foods work for you and what don't. Attempting what is effectively "bonk training" is ineffective, outdated and, in a fell environment, potentially dangerous. As long as you're working at a low enough intensity you'll be developing your fat metabolism but it's not an on/off switch so you'll still need carbs. The other big problem with running yourself so low is that recovery from the session will take far longer and your training the following week will suffer. Finishing a good ultra training session you should feel strong and as if you could carry on, consistent nutrition is key to this.
    Very true Nikalas

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Don't fear the sweeper View Post
    If he only eats when he starts to feel the knock coming on he has left it miles to late.
    Starving yourself whilst on the fellside isnt good practice.

Spot on Nik and Daz. Couldn't have put it better, having found it out for myself.

I've not quite got the food intake right for this length of run yet - I still seem to bonk every so often so I'll try the half hour alarm suggestion. I find that some real food in with the gels does help though.

I have got my fluid intake sussed though and usually manage neither to dehydrate or to need excessive pee stops. I followed Anton Krupicka's advice which is three sips on the drink every ten minutes. I usually take three sips every time my GPS tells me I've done a mile (more often if I'm climbing, but then it's easier to remember to drink when you're hiking up hill, and easier to do it too).

Jim
    Jim Tinnion
    (Mercia Fell Runners)

http://midlands-fell.blogspot.com/

I found doing long (8 hour plus) training runs through the winter last year that real food was the way to go.... pitta with houmous, miniature pork pies, sausage rolls and cold pizza all did the job. Obviously not good if you're pushing hard but for slow and steady they work a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by plodding bear View Post
    A bowl of cereal an hour or so before, then the odd jaffa cake during the run.
    for me this would be way too little, especially in the winter when you're burning up calories at a much higher rate

if you got up at 8am, had breakfast, then sat at home for five hours, you'd be having lunch by then wouldn't you

so to run for 4-5 hours on a bowl of cereal isn't going to work for the vast majority of people, in my opinion, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Flopsy View Post
    According to current thinking you shouldn't wait until you are hungry or thirsty as by then it is too late. The recommended is something small to eat and drink every 20-30 mins. Not a lot - perhaps a couple of jelly babies or half a biscuit- just a top up, even if you're not hungry.

After reading up on some advice years ago I set my watch for 30 mins alarms to remind me (time passes without you realising). Works for me running and biking.

However, everyone is diffferent and so I guess not everyone needs that approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    for me this would be way too little, especially in the winter when you're burning up calories at a much higher rate

if you got up at 8am, had breakfast, then sat at home for five hours, you'd be having lunch by then wouldn't you

so to run for 4-5 hours on a bowl of cereal isn't going to work for the vast majority of people, in my opinion, etc etc
    As every ones says little and often and earlier than you think, Just think what calories your burning. If it's a race even more.

I'd have a slight disagreement with flopsy (Sorry) a couple of JB or half a biscuit on a 4+ hour race and I'd be joining the also rans, you need to match your energy usage. I'd always take more and not simple sugars. JB are ok for a quick fix butb unless you top up with somthing more complicated you will ground to a halt (i would)