Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY OROCs

DIY OROCs

For any other cheapskates out there I'll just mention that it's not too hard to create your own tungsten carbide spiked shoes. What you need: spikes from supatracks.com (sold out of shoe sized ones last week though), suitable shoes, best in harder rubber and a supportive stud, mine are in Salomon speedcrosses, old Inov8s the grey ones with quite big edge studs look good. Carbide spikes 50p each, I used 10 per shoe.

I drilled pilot holes and screwed the studs in with a bit of isocyanate glue (rally cars use this technique, the glue is a belt and braces approach), ten minute job. Few long mixed terrain runs now and very successful, all studs still present and correct .

They'll not work well in small studs in sticky rubber.

Re: DIY OROCs

That's a good idea, might get me some of them. Might purchase a spare set of Walshes and add them to those as a winter shoe (not that I have a big problem with grip but extra confidence would be a good thing)

You might pick up some metal studded orienteering shoes in a sale, especially if you have very big or very small feet. I wore mine loads last year and they were great. Not cheap if you are paying full price tho

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Rob View Post
    That's a good idea, might get me some of them. Might purchase a spare set of Walshes and add them to those as a winter shoe (not that I have a big problem with grip but extra confidence would be a good thing)
    Walsh sole would not be ideal for this, studs too small and pyramidal in shape

Quote Originally Posted by No Whistle View Post
    Walsh sole would not be ideal for this, studs too small and pyramidal in shape

you might be ok with these ones though

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

They might work, but the thread on the spikes is 8mm+ so you need a broad stud, preferably in a hard rubber to take them.

I'll do some measuring, I might change my mind anyway and try and adapt my Harriers instead (as I rarely use these now anyway) although the rubber is a little soft they should take 8mm of thread no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by No map, no compass View Post
    They might work, but the thread on the spikes is 8mm+ so you need a broad stud, preferably in a hard rubber to take them.
    The thread on the shoe/bike tyre specific studs is 6mm, but they've sold out of those at present.

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Old Mudrocs with spikes in the edge studs make for a far more confident run on compacted snow, though probably not enough ice around to tell whether they really work.

Fellhound

I already have some Jalas O shoes with dobs but my first thought on reading this is it might be good to have a source of replacement dobs. Not sure how you'd get the old worn out ones out though....