Thread: Funny Feet and Hands

Funny Feet and Hands

Came back after a HOT holiday in Greece. 40 deg at times. My hands and feet have been a pain ever since. Hands are hyper-sensitive and even handling the edges of paper causes pain. They are bright red and tend to crack between the thumb and forefinger. Feet are a nightmare! Cracked heels and soles of feet with deep cuts in them. The soles have a line all the way round and it looks as though they have been in boiling water. Totally fed up now. Painful to walk on. Tried loads of creams and potions and soaks from the doctor. Better than they were but cracked too much to run on. Managed 20 miles or so in 4 months. Arghh!:angry:
    Last edited by soreeneater; 13-12-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: spelling error

Re: Funny Feet and Hands

That sounds like a real pain, did the doc give any clue as to what they thought caused it?

Quote Originally Posted by soreeneater View Post
    Came back after a HOT holiday in Greece. 40 deg at times. My hands and feet have been a pain ever since. Hands are hyper-sensitive and even handling the edges of paper causes pain. They are bright red and tend to crack between the thumb and forefinger. Feet are a nightmare! Cracked heels and soles of feet with deep cuts in them. The soles have a line all the way round and it looks as though they have been in boiling water. Totally fed up now. Painful to walk on. Tried loads of creams and potions and soaks from the doctor. Better than they were but cracked too much to run on. Managed 20 miles or so in 4 months. Arghh!:angry:
    Did the symptoms start while you were still in the heat in Greece, or after the transition to chilly GB? (Or even on/after the air conditioned flight)? Raynauds attacks are often triggered by changes in temperature from hot to colder - eg going into an air conditioned room in summer. My Raynauds then leads to the sort of symptoms you describe - it is really a kind of frostbite, with consequent skin damage. There was a recent thread about this problem, which might give you some useful tips about managing the condition. (Keep warm!) You also need to get your GP to send you to a Raynauds clinic/rheumatologist.

I have recently tried massaging evening primrose oil into my fingers twice a day (from capsules). It has really improved the angry red flaking sore patches on my skin far quicker and more than I ever expected. Good luck!
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Rob View Post
    That sounds like a real pain, did the doc give any clue as to what they thought caused it?
    He said it was probably the rocks and sand. Hmm..

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Did the symptoms start while you were still in the heat in Greece, or after the transition to chilly GB? (Or even on/after the air conditioned flight)? Raynauds attacks are often triggered by changes in temperature from hot to colder - eg going into an air conditioned room in summer. My Raynauds then leads to the sort of symptoms you describe - it is really a kind of frostbite, with consequent skin damage. There was a recent thread about this problem, which might give you some useful tips about managing the condition. (Keep warm!) You also need to get your GP to send you to a Raynauds clinic/rheumatologist.

I have recently tried massaging evening primrose oil into my fingers twice a day (from capsules). It has really improved the angry red flaking sore patches on my skin far quicker and more than I ever expected. Good luck!
    After we came back. Just got notice of a hospital appointment in FEBRUARY!
    Last edited by soreeneater; 14-12-2010 at 05:54 PM.