Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Ballot Paper Arrives

Re: Ballot Paper Arrives

I voted.
    That's it really, nothing else to add.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Got ballot paper today. I had heard something of this disafiliation but didnt really have an opinion so I turned here to the forum for further enlightenment.
    Good to see theres argument for both sides. It's obvious (from the low post counts) that some people have registered (on the forum) primarily to keep an eye and to comment on this topic so it's obviously very important.

Having (eventuallly) read through all the posts I now know more but as a new FRA member with little experience of fellrunning races/issues etc. I have decided I will go with the committee reccomendation. I would probably have not voted at all but I can see it's important to try to get a decent %response.

New here. Can't keep quiet any longer. I appreciate the to's and fro's of the arguments, but am still utterly baffled by the 'ballot paper'. I've talked to various members from my own club and everyone thought the same – to send out a Voting Slip with such an unsubtle, cack-handed prompt of how to use it (which decision to vote for) is bizarre. It does the FRA (i.e. us all) no favours at all. It's precisely the reason why UK voters are staying away from the polling stations in droves – a cynical public getting more cynical every time they see how so-called 'democracy' is being manipulated by those in control of the process. Opinionating on ballot papers really is the transparent end of failing democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Luv Shack View Post
    Ballot Paper Arrives????
    Not here so far....Maybe the sheep have snaffled mine....
    Will you vote with the flock?
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

if the FRA cuts off its ties with UKA will it mean a one FRA that covers all of the UK and not just England?

I'm new to FRA and my inclination is to go with the committee and see what happens "in the light of experience". My heart says differently and I think we need to look at just how much control UKA/England Athletics wants to assert over clubs and runners. This has caused a real rumble in road running where most clubs don't have elite runners and get nothing from UKA/EA except Insurance cover. The ARC has now come on board to challenge UKA on the road and my road club has decided to affiliate to ARC and remain with UKA for this year - to see what happens. Most road runners don't like the fact that affiliation charges will go up a lot and this EA idea of a licence for registered runners. UKA/EA don't seem to be listening.

I appreciate that FRA has a different set of problems, but if we look at the big picture you can see that the family of athletics is being run by a bit of a monster, that wants further control and cares little for ordinary road clubs or fell running. There are no Olympic medals or prestige in running over hills.

The real question is what degree of infrastructure is really needed to run fell running (or road running). Does Fell or Road Running need UKA, a licence or outside interference? Perhaps the middle way is to speak to TRA and see if resources can be combined for all "Off-Road" running.
    I rely upon my luck!

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    if the FRA cuts off its ties with UKA will it mean a one FRA that covers all of the UK and not just England?
    I think that would be ideal and I think a lot of people in Wales , Scotland and England will try to make it work. (No experience/contact with our Northern Ireland fellows so can't comment there).

Quote Originally Posted by Luv Shack View Post
    Ballot Paper Arrives????
    Not here so far....... I'm getting quite jealous of you lot...
    Maybe the sheep have snaffled mine... they were smirking when I got home this eve..
    I think you've done something to upset the Posty
    I bet the bills are still getting through. Are you sure you paid your subs?

As a rank and file fell runner and competitor for the last 26 yrs I've never felt part of and never felt the need to be part of the so called "athletics family". Running in the hills and mountains of the UK is the total antidote to the tawdry, media driven, often incompetent, often sleazy, frequently bumbling, rule driven, control freaky, money obsessed world of athletics that we see portrayed on TV. My interest in seeing fell running as an international competitive sport is minimal. I'm not that bothered if we don't have England/GB eligibilty. I couldn't care less whether there is a negative affect on juniors and if they will be attracted into the sport. In fact I'd rather we didn't waste money on promoting so called junior fell racing. I suspect most of the current membership like me, came into the sport at a relatively advanced age following on from our other interests in the "great outdoors".

Insurance? Well I suppose that's something that anyone organising a race has to have just in case some prat falls over or gets mauled by a maniacal sheep and then decides to sue.

If the FRA and its committees and sub committees ceased to exist tomorrow, I would still run in the hills; there may be fewer races, but so what? When I started fell running in the early eighties there were a fraction of the races compared to now. My enjoyment was not the less because of this.

This is just my opinion. I'm not about putting forward heavily reasoned arguments one way or the other for staying affiliated, but my very strong "gut feeling" is to say to UKA "go henceforth from this place and procreate".

Quote FTE <say to UKA "go henceforth from this place and procreate".>

Would they need to have a properly trained and certificated organiser and time keeping official present?