Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Windproof Smock?

Which Windproof Smock?

I need a new windproof smock and for a few years now have been using the Montane Featherlite Smock - very pleased with it but considering other options this time.

Looking at the Buffalo Windshirt - any reviews on this or further recommendations?

Thanks

BG

Re: Which Windproof Smock?

I've had one of these for years and love it. The best bit is the zips each side from the waist to beyond the armpit which gives huge control over ventilation. Not at all waterproof anymore if it ever was but I unless it's actually raining it's my top of choice.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

I have both a Montane Featherlight and a Buffalo and I have to say that whilst I carry the Montane for fell races in the summer when I don't think I would have to wear it due to it's lightness and packability, I'm not sure that I would want to rely on it if the weather turned really nasty.

The Buffalo is fantastic (if unglamorous). It is much warmer than the Montane, I have used it in some pretty foul weather and it has kept me warm. As bigfella says, the side zips are handy for ventilation and it has a big front pocket. It is much tougher than a Montane (I have had mine about 14 years and it is still going strong), though this inevitably makes it bulkier and heavier than a Montane, however you won't be worrying about that if the weather turns shit and you are wearing it, coz you will be warm.

There is a review of a dozen or more in a Trail Runner mag (which my sister left at my parent's house and I picked up).

If you say what priority features you'd like I'll fish it out of the car and see what fits your bill if you like. Features like lowest weight, hood, pockets, draw cord.....and they seemed awfully hung up on the fact that some had a "plasticy feel"

I had a buffalo smock for quite a while, it was mostly excellent but the drawbacks were that it had a seperate hood which wasn't so good (the newer ones might be different) and if you completely unzipped the side zips instead of leaving them fastened at the bottom they could work up between your back and your bumbag or rucksack where the zip sliders gouged chunks out of your back. It finally rotted after years of use and UV exposure/weather and split across the back while I was heaving it off.
    Have you thought about the EDZ? They look good to me although I have yet to try one but without wanting to reopen the whole debate some organisers may consider this as waterproof, giving you more versatility.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I had a buffalo smock for quite a while, it was mostly excellent but the drawbacks were that it had a seperate hood which wasn't so good (the newer ones might be different) and if you completely unzipped the side zips instead of leaving them fastened at the bottom they could work up between your back and your bumbag or rucksack where the zip sliders gouged chunks out of your back. It finally rotted after years of use and UV exposure/weather and split across the back while I was heaving it off.
    Have you thought about the EDZ? They look good to me although I have yet to try one but without wanting to reopen the whole debate some organisers may consider this as waterproof, giving you more versatility.
    I had a Buffalo wind-shirt and mine deteriorated with UV / weather and split too. It was one of my favourite bits of kit ever mind and I wore it for five-a-side footie, mountain-biking, climbing and walking for years

+1 for the Buffalo Windshirt. Got mine from my Dartmoor Rescue days and still going strong. Top kit.

Omm smock for me.

I have used both the Montane Featherlite shirt and trousers this year, really impressed with them. Have been in quite some windy conditions with hailstones on one occasion. Everyones different but im usually on the colder side, needing more clothing. Ive been using the buffalo active lite shirt which is a windshirt with little insulation, can be used as a part of a layering system unlike the mountain shirts and can be worn next to the skin. Just an idea if youve already got a windshirt....
    Mobile: 07854458103 Email: [email protected]

Paramo do windproof smocks. I've got one, for colder, drier days and it's fine. The sleeves are easy to roll up, the hood rolls away nicely, it has a pocket on the front and it's a wee bit warmer than my montane H2O jacket (my usual running jacket in not very wet weather). I think it's called a Fuera?
    -I'll be out in it early tomorrow, watching the sun rise over the moors!