Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Edale Skyline

Re: Edale Skyline

I was under the impression that there was a marked up race map I could buy - but Lakes Runner don't seem to have it. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by nutkey View Post
    I was under the impression that there was a marked up race map I could buy - but Lakes Runner don't seem to have it. Any ideas?
    ah yes, the great PB / LakesRunner tradition of never having maps in stock at exactly the time when everyone wants them ...

Quote Originally Posted by nutkey View Post
    Send Nobthrob a PM he is the person who makes them, the last I heard they'd sold out and were going for a reprint

Did the first half of the course yesterday in blizzard conditions for the first 5 mile, quite deep snow for most of the run, the hardest part was coming down from win hill, seemed to roll for most of the way, still pleased with my time to the cut off point, 1.48. Just hope conditions are better in 4 weeks time? Used the map printed off from the DP web site, got me round no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by cerenko View Post
    Used the map printed off from the DP web site, got me round no problems.
    The first half barely requires a map though whereas the first half of the second half..............

Quote Originally Posted by cerenko View Post
    Did the first half of the course yesterday in blizzard conditions for the first 5 mile, quite deep snow for most of the run, the hardest part was coming down from win hill
    Agreed the conditions weren't great yesterday. posted this on the today's training page

"Ran round edale skyline yesterday morning in the snowy blizzard. Visibility was poor. My navigation was not bad except for running straight past the brown knowl trig and not even seeing it!!! (visibility at the time was only about 20/30 yards) however hit the fence line dropping into the junction above jacobs ladder spot on!??? Weird piece of navigation that on my part.

Did the down up from grindslow. didn't find it too bad. the question is, is it quicker than going round??"

Any one doing the second half next sunday 27th ? could do with joining in if possible.
    cheers.

I'm thinking of a run out on wednesday, either second half or start at blackden barn, over kinder to edale, up chapel gate and follow route to ringing roger. Very much depends on legs and weather which i do. Anyone interested?

Did the section from Mam Tor on Sunday. Faffed around finding the start of the path from Lords Seat to Brown Knoll, because I turned right at the wall instead of the fence, but then it was plain sailing, even in rubbish visibility, up to Brown Knoll, apart from very cold feet! Failed to find the fence crossing, so followed fence up to the crossing below Jacob's Ladder, then round to Grindslow. Missed the first path but caught the second obvious one above the clough. Then it all went wrong. I crossed the clough, and came round to the second crossing.. I *think* I crossed in the correct place but looking too far North on the other side for the path, which I unsurprisingly couldn't find. I wasn't that happy about my core temperature and the time of day and then I caught myself thinking silly thoughts about the compass, and decided it was time to get myself off the hill the only way I was certain about - straight down the clough. Unpleasant on slippery rock at the top!

So - any tips for spotting the turn to Grindslow and picking up the path on E side of Grindsbrook - or am I just blind?
    Last edited by nutkey; 10-03-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Nutkey,

you talking about just after wool packs, top of crowden clough? after that track goes almost due east for bout 1km then there is a left turn which you ignore and carry on straight which brings you out directly on grindlsow.

Make sense?