Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Jarrett Jaunt

Two climbs, lovely grass to run on, water on paths, mud, bog, clag down on tops, wind, no crowds, soup, flap jack, beer prize. Didn't get lost.

Thanks to all involved today. Handicaps good fun.

And now I know why Jarrett, and January. Still not sure about Jaunt.

Results are up

http://www.c-f-r.org.uk/node/3538

Lots of help today, many thanks to everyone who helped today, a CFR team effort.

There was a very nice pair of gloves left on the wall by the tea urn.
    Anyone lost a pair?

Start times are up on the cfr web site

http://www.c-f-r.org.uk

If coming and not on the list then please get in touch with me at [email protected]

Give me a name or date of a race you have done, park run, road or fell

Results for 2017 are up. Thanks to all who turned up. http://www.c-f-r.org.uk/

Many thanks to Andrew and all his helpers for taking me on a trip down memory lane.

Ten years ago my wife and I, in the company of Nellie our Border Terrier, embarked on Wainwright's Coast to Coast. On completion we vowed to one day go over the Dent and Nannycatch valley section again, hopefully in better weather and appreciate the views on offer.

Finally we achieved this on Friday whilst having a reccy of the Jarrett Jaunt race route. I'm pleased to say that Nellie is still in our company and she's almost as grey as me and we got the views we'd missed first time around and enjoyed a lovely walk in and around the enchantingly named Nannycatch valley.

It turned out to be a productive day; we'd revisited Dent and Nannycatch, I'd reccied the race for the next day and we'd 'bagged' Flat Fell out of Wainwright's Outlying Fells of Lakeland book. In fact the route in the Outlying fells book is almost identical to the actual race route....was Wainwright's route an inspiration for the race?

When I commented to Alison about how productive our day had been, she wasn't in total agreement. Apparently a more productive day would've been spent at home making a start on decorating the kitchen. When I said, "all work and no play makes Darren a dull boy".....she came back with a reply that cannot be printed, but it did involved kitchen utensils and my bottom.

Friday night we had a pleasant stay over in the van at Braithwaite....blimey, the toilet/shower block has underfloor heating (I hope this hasn't given Alison ideas of underfloor heating in our kitchen) then in the morning we called off in Keswick so Alison could do the park run. Given the nature of Keswick's surroundings it's ironic that it's by far the flattest park run that Alison has encountered.

Next it was my turn; Jarrett Jaunt (handicap) fell race.

Without scratching my head too much, I can't recall doing a handicap race out of the fell calendar. Hats off to Andrew for all his efforts.......he must be Cumbria's answer to Albert Einstein for all the mathematical number crunching needed to achieve the handicap times for all the runners.

If you've raced a Cumberland fell runners event over the last few years Andrew will work out your handicap start time for the race. If you haven't raced a Cumberland race, he'll work out your start time from your 5k/10k times. A list of all the runners start times is presented and we're set off accordingly...the idea is that everyone finishes in close succession.

What's really heartwarming about this unique little race is shown in bucketloads today when the first over the line was FV55 Anna Blackburn. And so it continues, runners of all ages and varying abilities coming in before elite athletes like Carl Bell......ok, so what if most of us set off way before Carl, it's a rush knowing he's chasing you down.

When the true results are sorted later in the day, they reveal that Carl was a clear winner by almost two minutes....respect to a true gentleman. He set off 7 minutes after me and I only just held him off to the finish. For the record I clocked the course at 5.8 miles, apparently this is slightly longer than normal due to work in the forest enforcing a diversion.

Another touch I liked about the handicap system was that the prize giving was done in order of finishers....not actual times. So for once people who wouldn't normally receive a top prize had first pick. Saying that, everybody received a prize such was the bounty on offer.

Thanks again Cumberland fell runners....well worth the trip and far better than decorating.
    Last edited by Tindersticks; 05-03-2017 at 12:21 AM.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Banned
    Glad you had a great couple of days Darren.
    I've been there before and it is a great idea and spectacle.
    Well done CFR and Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Glad you had a great couple of days Darren.
    I've been there before and it is a great idea and spectacle.
    Well done CFR and Andrew
    Thanks Trevor

Looking forward to seeing you out and about, take care mate.

Thanks for the words Darren. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for supporting the race.