Thread: Border County Ride

Border County Ride

Anyone know anything about this old route in Northumbria/Cheviots...?

From what I can gather, it appears to be a 100 mile horse-riding route which may (or may not) go up and down the Cheviots on both the English and Scottish side.

Also appears to be linked with the old Roman "Clennell Street", but whether they share the same route along their entirety i'm not sure.

However both the Border Ride and the Roman street are only intermittently marked on the OS Maps.

Anyone have more detailed info/route? Or any suggestions where more info could be gained? I thought about contacting local horse riding clubs, but most of them appear to be geared up to tourists...

I imagine you've already Googled it, but this gives the basic route:

http://www.border-roads.org/the-roads/clennell-street/
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Cheers Dave.... yes Clennell Street shares some parts over the Cheviots, but they are not one and the same.

Having spoken to someone in the know up there, it appears the Border County Ride was a 100 mile waymarked route around the Cheviots and Kielder, designed for horse trekking, along with mountain biking and long-distance walking. However it was effectively disbanded around 20 years ago as there was no custodian to keep the way marking maintained, and apparently few indications of the Ride remain.

Obviously my thoughts stemmed out of curiosity from looking at the OS maps and a bit of brief research, that it might be a good long distance run. Even the lack of a route on the ground shouldn’t really be an issue.... but finding out details of the exact original route would appear to be the big stumbling-block...