Page 137 of 172 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 1718

Thread: Haworth Hobble

can anyone advise how easy or difficult route finding might be on the Hobble? The date seems to be approaching rapidly, and getting out for a recce is looking pretty unlikely now!

Big sections are very easy. You could also look at last years results and see what sort of times others do and so figure how much you would be alone? Start, to withers and done to reservoirs, up road, over dam and all the way to long causeway is pretty straight forward. plus near the start runners will be less spread out. After Stiperden farm on track to golf course is fairly clear, just make sure you get the rising path/ track after steep down on concrete road. After gold course is a bit picky to get path near church. After crossing main road fairly straight forward all the way to S Pike. Also down into HB easy just one bit of care where path shoots off right down to bridge a you enter woods. In HB take second go ell of steps not first. In Heptonstall climb to pub turn R and then look for bridle way off to R, often a car parked on small piece of open ground that the nearest houses seems to have. Latimer with a seat etc. Would be worth checking the way back thru Haworth if you have time as a warm up on race am

thanks Karen Likely to be in reasonable sight of others I think as I'll be at a run/walk pace so hopefully should get round ok. Thanks for the tips on specific areas you mention in your post - very helpful and really appreciated.

Have you entered? Hope you have a good run if so!

Shuffle - you'll be fine

Well worn tracks

Master
    There are two places where people seem to go wrong. The first is the church after the golf course - it's very easy to miss the footpath dropping down to the right. First time I did the race I went straight on, and last time prevented a small group of others doing the same.
    The other place is right at the end, going through the town to the finish. Unless you either know the route or follow someone who does, you'll almost certainly go wrong. I'd strongly recommend checking this bit out before you start.

I've gone wrong in Heptonstall more than once, trying to take the right lane down towards Hardcastle Crags.
    And I should know where I'm going...
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Quote Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
    I've gone wrong in Heptonstall more than once, trying to take the right lane down towards Hardcastle Crags.
    And I should know where I'm going...
    I went wrong on Penistone Hill once and ended up at the wrong end of Haworth
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    There are two places where people seem to go wrong. The first is the church after the golf course - it's very easy to miss the footpath dropping down to the right. First time I did the race I went straight on, and last time prevented a small group of others doing the same.
    The other place is right at the end, going through the town to the finish. Unless you either know the route or follow someone who does, you'll almost certainly go wrong. I'd strongly recommend checking this bit out before you start.
    Agree completely with this. They're both easy to recce if you're in the area as well. On the other hand there's not much excuse for getting it wrong leaving Heptonstall, Bill! For the benefit of anyone else not sure about this, you turn right immedaitely before the Cross Inn, then look out for a track forking right downhill (while you're still in the village). It slants downhill, crosses the Heptonstall bypass, to reach the valley bottom at the Blue Pig.
    Last edited by Splatcher; 02-03-2015 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Incompetence
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Andy surely going up into Heptonstall you turn RIGHT immediately before the pub

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    Andy surely going up into Heptonstall you turn RIGHT immediately before the pub
    Er...yes. Post fixed! You've no idea how often I make that mistake when writing. Not usually when I'm running though!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club