Page 152 of 172 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 1718

Thread: Haworth Hobble

The reason the course was designed to down Haworth main street was for your safety.

The road crossing is at least at a pelican crossing

Will have a think about next year

The thought of finding more marshals to stand on a junction for 4 or 5 hours is unappealing.

From the front of the school it's possible to see who's coming up the hill, as opposed to down it. The threat that someone might bob out to look might be sufficient, especially with a warning that anyone coming the wrong way would incur a significant time penalty. However, to be fair, all entrants would need to be told this clearly in the pre-race info. They'd also need to be advised to ignore the locals trying to send them left from the church steps; like others, I also had the experience of a helpful bystander shouting that I was going the wrong way when I headed to the right down the cobbles.

Thanks to all.

I was particularly glad that there was a last dram to squeeze out of the whisky bottle at Mankinholes!
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

I quite enjoyed the final descent on the cobbles down Main St, but have to say had a couple of close incidents with other pedestrians as was quite busy with tourists and I wasn’t descending like Kenny Stuart, far from it. I know I have no extra right of way/priority on other road users, so was trying to be careful/considerate. On balance wonder if better to revert to old finish route?
    Totley AC

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    I was particularly glad that there was a last dram to squeeze out of the whisky bottle at Mankinholes!
    Extra rations will be provided for next year maybe a Glenrothes Special Reserve and a Talisker, the Glenrothes has quite a kick from what i remember.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    The reason the course was designed to down Haworth main street was for your safety.

The road crossing is at least at a pelican crossing

Will have a think about next year

The thought of finding more marshals to stand on a junction for 4 or 5 hours is unappealing.
    Brett - The road crossing below the Fleece is a zebra crossing. Just above the school if you take the shortcut route, there is also a zebra crossing so no difference.

As somebody mentioned, it is actually more hazardous running down Main Street with tourists about especially if you are racing somebody for places. The key thing is to ensure that everybody does same route as I feel for the person who put a load of effort in towards the end only to lose the places. Even if we are racing for 300th place, that's our own personal achievement so shame to take it away from somebody as from their own perspective they have achieved something.

My inclination is that it is actually better and probably safer to take the shortcut route which will clear it up as an issue.

It was a special event again and so many wonderful helpers along with a great venue.

Totley AC

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    Attachment 8394 Well done Stolly, not seen you for ages!!
    Cheers Ady. And DT I think my hair goes less blond in the winter months

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Extra rations will be provided for next year maybe a Glenrothes Special Reserve and a Talisker, the Glenrothes has quite a kick from what i remember.
    You really do spoil us, Mr B: few checkpoint marshals would display such attention to detail, or such good taste.

But does that really mean I could be tempted to go through all that pain again next year?
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

The results are up on Runfurther.com too now. I'll collect links to all the photo sets & race reports together and add them as soon as I get time - probably not till Thursday though.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

you know you will, Philip!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    You really do spoil us, Mr B: few checkpoint marshals would display such attention to detail, or such good taste.

But does that really mean I could be tempted to go through all that pain again next year?