Page 92 of 172 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast

Thread: Haworth Hobble

Re: Haworth Hobble/Wuthering H

Had not realised anyone stayed on the road- all those I see leave the road and all go on 'th path that isn't' not the big track ( I believe the farmer is the issue, although I agree with the previous post that I can't quite see why he prefers us churning up a field

Quote Originally Posted by crowhill View Post
    I have another route question - There is a short cut that cuts off a bit of the path to Hurstwood dam en route to Cant Clough dam wall - is that legit or should you stick to the track?
    I used that on the Calderdale Hike last year Crowhill, remember someone saying that on the Hobblihike you should stay on the path that passes Hurstwood Dam.(Peninne Bridleway) I've always gone that way on the Hobble and not seen anyone use the short cut, one for Brett to clear up maybe, hope that helps mate.
    Last edited by stevefoster; 04-03-2012 at 08:36 PM.
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    I used that on the Calderdale Hike last year Crowhill, remember someone saying that on the Hobblihike you should stay on the path that passes Hurstwood Dam.(Peninne Bridleway) I've always gone that way on the Hobble and not seen anyone use the short cut, one for Brett to clear up maybe, hope that helps mate.

Thanks Steve - If we're talking about the same bit then there's some open access land that cuts the corner of Hurstwood Dam wall, it's mostly roughish but there are some decent trods through there. It's probably only a minute quicker. Happy to stick to the path and defo will do if that's what we're supposed to do. Cheers.
    @jasesteve

Quote Originally Posted by crowhill View Post
    I have another route question - There is a short cut that cuts off a bit of the path to Hurstwood dam en route to Cant Clough dam wall - is that legit or should you stick to the track?
    As I recall there used to be a checkpoint (numbers taken but no clip) at the path junction at SD 895 324, presumably to make sure we followed the track, but it hasn't been there for a few years. It's so tempting to do a bit of intelligent route optimisation like on the Calderdale Hike.

Dear Brett, since the checkpoint hasn't been there in a goodly while, can we assume that it's alright to proceed down the orange dashed line to Cant Clough Reservoir should we so choose? Ta. :w00t:

I'm seriously considering taking the road loop from Long Causeway this year for the first time. I remember the farcical situation last year with runners fanning out across the boggy fields trying to follow the unused and invisible footpath. According to my map the track is the Burnley Way. How can the Burnley Way be out of bounds? Brett?

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    Dear Brett, since the checkpoint hasn't been there in a goodly while, can we assume that it's alright to proceed down the orange dashed line to Cant Clough Reservoir should we so choose? Ta. :w00t:
    Ooh now, that would be a bit cheeky, if you're talking about the permissive fp that runs next to Rams Clough; huge short cut!

Unfortunately the entry form actually mentions following the bridleway and passing the Hurstwood dam wall (shame!), which kind of prevents the short cut across the spoil heaps as well.

The route off the Long Causeway is an interesting one; I'd agree that the 2011 sweeper's GPS trace follows the track and I'll bet most runners did too.

I suspect Brett is keeping his head down on this one; he's appeased the land owner by putting the 'follow path, not track' wording in but I doubt it'll be an issue on the day.

Last year me and a couple of other blokes were wading through the shitty field as we watched another runner jauntily pass us on the track and disappear off in the distance - showing us a clean pair of heels as it were. Terribly unsporting.
    I'll be following the rules to the letter again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Last year me and a couple of other blokes were wading through the shitty field as we watched another runner jauntily pass us on the track and disappear off in the distance - showing us a clean pair of heels as it were. Terribly unsporting.
    I'll be following the rules to the letter again this year.
    I'll be following anybody I can........................

AndyA, it was a bit cheeky wasn't it. I don't know what came over me. I've just reminded myself of the brief route notes. It does state clearly to continue to the junction where CP2 would be, and it gives the grid ref, so that's what I'll be doing as usual.

As for the Burnley Way, since it's a recognised public footpath, what legitimate reason could there be for us as pedestrians not being allowed to use it?

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    Don't worry, Steve. I think you will be there before me at least.
    I will enquire whether a man with a pint glass has been through, if the answer is no, i shall intruct the marshalls to save a pint for said glass:wink:
    Hills and Guinness!