Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Lydiard Training Method

The Lydiard Training Method

After hearing Arthur Lydiard's name mentioned on a few threads I've done a bit of research on his methods and I'm tempted to give it a go.

I've been running for about a year now and I've improved quite a bit but I'm not sure how long my aerobic conditioning phase should be.

Ideally I'd like to complete the programme by early summer and then keep myself ticking over untill next winter.

Have any of you tried the system? How did it work for you and how did you adapt it to the fells?

Re: The Lydiard Training Metho

if you've got no job and a body that's resistant to overuse injuries, then go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    if you've got no job and a body that's resistant to overuse injuries, then go for it!
    I work full time but I don't have kids and the Mrs doesn't mind me training so I reckon I could fit it in with a bit of discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by beasty1711 View Post
    Cheers mate that's exactly what I've been looking at! I think the time based conditioning phase is the best way to go, don't want to be jumping up to 100 miles a week in one go.

Quote Originally Posted by Fell Donkey View Post
    Cheers mate that's exactly what I've been looking at! I think the time based conditioning phase is the best way to go, don't want to be jumping up to 100 miles a week in one go.
    well if your target is the 100 miles per week.. taking thg generic 10% rule you could figure out how long it would take starting from your current level although ive read another way which is something like 10miles every 3 weeks... so you may go 40 , 45, 50, 45, 50, 55, 50, 55, 60 etc although this is quite agressive and ive not tried it personally it does include something a little more in the way of a "recovery" week to allow for adaption

Just try it this winter but don't hit 100 miles per week. Those were the elite runners that were ding that. Maybe try 50 miles or so this winter. I'm basing my training around this and another book i read over the summer. Both similar in approach. Plenty of long easy miles to build the base.

After having a good read I'm definitely going to ditch the hill reps and intervals for at least ten to twelve weeks and concentrate on building a base Lydiard style. I won't hit 100 miles a week but as far as I can see the beauty of the system is how you adapt it to your own condition.

I'm going to focus on time rather than milleage that way hopefully the milleage will progress naturaly as I build a bigger base. After a good year I think I'm ready to start training properly.

It'll be a hard slog getting up on the dark mornings but I might as well do it now while I'm young, have a sympathetic girlfriend and no kids!

I have tried (and failed training the lydiard way).
    The questions I would like to ask you are
    What is your ultimate aim
    How many miles per week are you doing now.
    Do realy understand the concept of Lydiard,(it is not only 100mpw)
    regards
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by A.P.E Knott View Post
    I have tried (and failed training the lydiard way).
    The questions I would like to ask you are
    What is your ultimate aim
    How many miles per week are you doing now.
    Do realy understand the concept of Lydiard,(it is not only 100mpw)
    regards
    Mark
    I just want to see how fast I can get this year and aim to peak around mid summer and then hold my form until late Autumn. Ultimately I want to reach my potential but I realise this will take years not months.

My mileage varies at the moment I'm probably doing 30 - 40 miles running and 60 on the bike at the moment. Like I said in previous posts I don't intend to just jump to 100 mpw I'm going to adapt the conditioning phase to my current fitness. I will be doing more but I obviously I don't want to over train. I'm going to substitute some running sessions for cycling at least one during the week and a long ride on a Saturday.

With regard to my understanding of the system i've read quite a bit about it and I find the argument about developing a large aerobic base and then developing anaerobic capacity, speed and sharpness pretty convincing. But I'm open minded to other people's thoughts hence posting on here.

So far this winter I've structured my training in terms of quality over quantity and I have improved but after reading Lydiard I think I could improver further by increasing my aerobic base and then working in 'quality' sessions as per Lydiard's guidance.

Why didn't Lydiard work out for you? Do you reckon the system is achievable/adaptable for your average fell runner or should it be left to the elites?