Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Mynd Valleys

....it's all downhill from here.

Anyone on it this year?

Quite fired up for this one as been training hard and hoping to make an improvement on last year. Famous last words!

I'm doing it - the English champs version. This was one of my first medium fell races about 15 years ago. I was properly broken by the end. So I'm hoping to improve on that after this lengthy absence.

Doing the one Sunday, but not the Champs race as that clashes same weekend as Edale Skyline. Expect a larger turnout than usual this weekend, as I guess people will use it as a recce/training for the champs race. Mind you there seems to be a good turnout for this one regardless!

I've entered the Champs running of it but I'm at Mickleden this Sunday. Have a good one, Travs, let us know how it goes.
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

results from todays LMV: hope you all had a grand day out!
    http://www.merciafellrunners.org.uk/node/2872
    ....it's all downhill from here.

As always in Shropshire a tough course and hard running. Ask the guy lying down with 2/3rds of the course done, but 3 climbs and the majority of the ascent still to go, poor lad.... Didn't see him finish, hope he's not still there...!

I personally thought the going was harder than last year, but looking at the times it seems it was pretty similar.

A big turnout of northerners came down the motorway, obviously checking it out prior to the champs race in March, resulting in a high standard field (to be honest it's usually a good standard field for this race anyway, such is the severity of the course)... Highlighted by the fact that I was 3 minutes faster than last year, but finished 30 places further down the field.

In a mirror image of last year, I didn't get going until 2/3rds in with the 3 tough climbs to go, which is probably where the race starts in earnest. Picked up at least 20 places between here and the finish.

For those with an interest in the champs race, there are three options for the final climb. 80% of people go a few hundred yards up the valley and make a diagonal climb up the slope. A further 10% appear to head to the end of the valley and up the Col. I was in the 5% that took it straight on the nose. It is a steep pull, and I guess depends on the individual, but I pulled out 3 or 4 minutes in those around me, so if you can stomach it, it might be a good choice.

Descending was typically poor. It was extra slippy today, but the trainers are shot and have been binned, a fresh pair for the next one. Overall pleased to take some time off. Was hoping to get closer to 2:15 (I was 2:23) but that would have represented more than a mile a minute improvement on last year and is probably reaching too far.

Good luck to those doing the champs race, it's a cracker, but do leave enough in the tank for the final 4 miles.

Pete

Great day on local hills. Nice to see some folk making the trip down for a recce. I think a fe of the really fast lads had a nice jog around. I think we'll see times 10/15mins quicker at the front come champs race day.

Helped me pull a few minutes out from last year with a 1.52 which almost squeezed top 20! That'll be good enough for Top 60/70 in a months time. Great organisation as usual. Top race. Hopefully a little drier next time.
    "You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back"

Quick question...... can someone tell me if these are the checkpoints that will be used for the coming Eng Champs race on 25 March 2017?

http://www.merciafellrunners.org.uk/node/2406
    Last edited by Daleside; 01-03-2017 at 06:54 PM.

I emailed the organiser and he pointed me in the direction of this page that is now on the mercia website - (for CPs and more info)

http://www.merciafellrunners.org.uk/node/2805