Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ras Tarren Hendre

Tarren Hendre

Anyone else heading for this one??

What's the terrain like??
    He's big and he's good.

Re: Tarren Hendre

Excellant race. Starts on a forest track, goes up a very steep climb to another forest track, climbs gently on this for a mile before stiking up very steeply again onto a ridge which leads onto the summit. The ridge is less steep. Then descends at a runnable angle on good grassy surface before a long gradual descent over a variety of terrain to the finish. Hope you can picture that.

Did this one a couple of years ago,good race ,quite quick.its the second counter in the Meirionnydd winter series,with the best one being the last one which is Aran Fawddwy in march

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deek View Post
    Excellant race. Starts on a forest track, goes up a very steep climb to another forest track, climbs gently on this for a mile before stiking up very steeply again onto a ridge which leads onto the summit. The ridge is less steep. Then descends at a runnable angle on good grassy surface before a long gradual descent over a variety of terrain to the finish. Hope you can picture that.
    Deek has it pretty much spot on.

One point though, after summitting TH & the good runnable descent, you get to the final hill. You now have a choice; to follow the fence line which contours the hill to the left or follow a wee path to the right. The choice as they say is yours, but I lost a whole s**tload of time following the fence last year.

Have fun & post a report when you get home.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

I was coming with a couple of locals, but I'm dropping out this evening. Legs are very weak after last weekend, tried a jog last night and a disaster - no strength at all.

Probably settle for a nice long slow hill walk instead, recce somewhere. I ain't going to miss the chance of some sunshine
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Moley, if you are feeling better by Sunday, you could always slide across to Long Mynd....A true test of a man (or a mole!)
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

. You now have a choice; to follow the fence line which contours the hill to the left or follow a wee path to the right.

The fence line doesn't contour the hill, it goes over it. Best to go round it to the right, contouring, which however is very difficult in cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Moley, if you are feeling better by Sunday, you could always slide across to Long Mynd....A true test of a man (or a mole!)
    That was an option, but the missus leaves for 10 days work away, so feel I ought to share a decent breakfast and see her off with tears in my eyes .

Will probably spend tomorrow walking in the Rhinogs - having a look at "you know what" . Bike on Sunday afternoon, I guess.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deek View Post

The fence line doesn't contour the hill, it goes over it. Best to go round it to the right, contouring, which however is very difficult in cloud.
    Aye Deek, you'd have to be a proper eejit to follow the fence .

Jealous of you all, looks like it's going to be a great day out;

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/...t_weather.html
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

this is a brilliant race. three killer climbs and a speedy (for those braver than me) descent, the last bit on the forestry track is never ending but next year i will be expecting it so it wont be so bad.

the weather was incredible. i was almost sorry to be racing as the veiws required more attention than a few sideways glances.

it was a big field, 95, and really astonishing scenery.

also very good marshalling and pea and ham soup with proper chunky bits of ham in.

now very shattered. can feel that i was trying hard. has anyone got any magic recovery tips as i want to do the long mynd tomorrow