Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Mynd Valleys

Thanks Daleside. There is one slight correction to the grid refs on the webpage for the "normal" race, but that's because the GR was wrong, not because we're changing anything. There's also info to help you make sure your Harvey map is up-to-date...

It's probably better if we use the Champs Race specific thread for discussion of the one-off for the Champs:
    http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...s-Race-25-3-17
    Last edited by jtinnion; 03-03-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    Jim Tinnion
    (Mercia Fell Runners)

http://midlands-fell.blogspot.com/

just to point out that this year's race is pre-entry, as a way of vetting entries.
    SiEntry is here:
    https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.ph...&event_id=4074
    and the race website, with CP locations here:
    https://merciafellrunners.org.uk/node/236
    a waterproof race map is available from Pete Blands
    ....it's all downhill from here.

a quick reminder that it's the Long Mynd Valleys on Sunday: if you want to race you need to have entered on-line by Wednesday. No entries on the day:
    https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.ph...&event_id=4074
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Love this one! MrRTS's race 47 of his 50@50. I shall be entering him on the Ben Nevis race before coming out to shout support :-) See you on Sunday.

I'm in for sunday, looking forward to it, it's a real toughie, usually cold, and the final few miles are amongst the toughest in any race.

That said, i'm hoping for a decent pb and will be attacking from the start, while hoping to also keep something in the bag for the final climbs.

All dependent on my calf being healed after pulling it last weekend in the xc and having to retire. Hopefully i'll be fit and raring. if I miss this race i'll be gutted.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I'm in for sunday, looking forward to it, it's a real toughie, usually cold, and the final few miles are amongst the toughest in any race.

That said, i'm hoping for a decent pb and will be attacking from the start, while hoping to also keep something in the bag for the final climbs.

All dependent on my calf being healed after pulling it last weekend in the xc and having to retire. Hopefully i'll be fit and raring. if I miss this race i'll be gutted.
    Yup - Minton batch to Yearlet is one hell of a way to finish off a race.
    Hope you are mended by Sunday. I should be there too current injury list permitting and I also managed to add to it by injuring my left knee at the weekend. I'd like to say it was while competing in a race but I was actually lugging a bathroom upstairs! Easing up a bit now so hopefully be good by the weekend.

I've not actually done the race since the route was changed (3 or 4 years ago?) so looking forward to this.
    Just hoping to get round in a reasonable time as I've been down on run training lately.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Fantastic and tough race today. I thought conditions were pretty perfect.... it was bitterly cold and some parts were very slippy underfoot, with a sprinkling of snow... but it's a tough Fell Race, in February, so par for the course really.

Slightly apprehensive about even starting, never mind speculating whether I might finish, given that my calf has been giving me jip. And admittedly it hurt a lot in the flat sections, but was very pleased with my climbing and especially descending.... on that horrible first descent I 'only' lost four places, and actually managed to pick up a place on the very final steep descent, although that was more to do with anger inside me, as I'll explain shortly...!

Managed 2-17 which I'd certainly have taken before the race, a pb by some 6 minutes, but for me, ever the perfectionist, overshadowed my a monumental foul-up in the final half mile... coming off the final top and crossing the Burway Road, I veered off too far right and missed the top of the final descent. I had suspected something was amiss, but I was running with a Mercia guy, so he must know where he's going?! (In hindsight, alarm bells should have been ringing when half hour before, he asked me how many climbs were left). In the usual fellrunning style, I didn't get my map out, but instead ran faster and faster I what I hoped was the right direction. When I finally came to my senses I could see where we should be, about a quarter of a mile away, across a bloody ravine. All told, I estimate it cost me 2-3 minutes which would have seen me beat my "best case scenario" target of 2-15.

To make matters worse, I'd been discussing thumb compasses and navigation with two forum members (hello RaceTheSweeper and TrevorM), shortly before the race started.

Another great day at the LMV, it really does throw a bit of everything at you, and the final few miles are a spectacle that really deserves its reputation.

Hello to Mr and Mrs RaceTheSweeper (great running, and glad you got into Ben Nevis), DaveMole (well ran after racing yesterday as well!), and TrevorM.

Pete

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Had a bit of a 'mare myself too. Just after check point 5, lady in front of me fell over and as I slowed to see if she was OK, I too went flying and landed heavily on a bit of boardwalk at the top of minton batch. Of course all the hard stuff is still to come and so had to do that with a very stiff and painful hip coupled with an interesting route choice at one point! Yearlet was tough.

Well done PeteS and good on you for seeing it out til the end.

The start was quite amusing, and reminded me of that Grand National when all the horses got stuck in the starting tape.

As the tape was dropped to signal the start, it got caught in one of the leader's feet, which lifted it, and several of the front runners went flying. Luckily I was in the second or third row, so had time to see it coming. It was a fast start from where I was.... I always go hard at the start, to "keep out of trouble", but the pace at the front up the first climb was pretty intense, three guys way off the front of the usual suspects, from what I could see. Have no idea exactly who it was though...

Super running everyone. MrRTS was gutted for you going wrong at the end Travs! He said you deserved the win of him today. Although, he said thanks for the tip of the line to take up yearlet for next year. He was happy with just a min slower than the Champs race last year and he felt a lot better going up Yearlet than last year too. No jelly legs coming off. Brilliant race and good conditions. His entry into the Ben is on the list to be vetted. I had his entry in by 12:07 and he fits all the criteria so he should be in. As he said though "you just never know" Race 45 of his 50@50 TICK!!!