Anyone got any suggestions as to what I can do to get some sleep? Since a couple of weeks before Xmas, I just cannot get to sleep at night.

Before, I would be out within minutes, and then would sleep through anything (I have slept through a bomb blast, and a huge car smash - involving a drunk driver & our car - right outside my bedroom window). Then, in the morning, when generally I'd struggle to get up and could feasibly sleep until the early afternoon if left alone.

Now, my mind just won't switch off, and the slightest little noise will wake me just as I'm dozing off. I don't drink loads of caffeine - two small coffees & two green teas today, the last of which at about 5.30. This is no more than usual, and in fact in the past I could drink quite a lot of caffeine & still get to sleep. Anticipating problems tonight, I had a small whiskey just before bed watching Bruce Parry. Hasn't worked.

I can't say I'm particularly troubled by things I've lost sleep over in the past (e.g. work, money).

Generally what I tend to do as I go to sleep is I'll start to imagine a scenario I'd like to dream about (steady lads, keep it clean!). Whilst I never ever end up dreaming the scenario, you could always guarantee I'd be out within minutes. Now, it just seems to go on: I get bored, run out of imagination, and find I'm still as awake as I was before. I might, if I'm lucky begin to go, but then a noise - one of the kids moving about the house, the dog having a shake - will wake me up 5-10 minutes later.

I was due up in 4 hrs, but have decided I can get to a nearer office, which'll give me an hour or so's extra sleep (when/if I do drift off).

Can anyone suggest anything? I'm not going to hang around for a reply, I do want to try to sleep. I'm currently downstairs on the sofa under the spare quilt, with a mug of warm milk, a book & the Sunday papers. Wish me luck...:closed: