Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good quality photo printer?

Good quality photo printer?

Her indoors wants a new printer to "do" her fantastic photos with. Had a Canon i865 for years and image quality was good. Can't find anywhere (shop) that actually shows the quality of images printed. It might say quality prints BUT ......... Reviews are hit and miss as one person says it is brilliant while another says that it is crap. Any budding photographers out there?

Re: Good quality photo printer

I use an Epson Stylus PhotoR340. 3 years old now, superb quality prints using Epson original inks and paper - had lots of compliments. Other than using up some Kodak paper early on when everything came out with a green cast, I've not used compatables. I think with most makes its best to use original ink and paper if you want really good quality colour. The Epson inks last well, are usually on offer somewhere after a bit of a search. Got it from Amazon, no hassle. It's one of those things-(along with a Rab down jacket and a pair of neoprene lined wellies) -that I'd go and buy the exact same thing again. Can't recommend it highly enough and -No- I don't work for Epson!!

Buying and running a printer for producing pics on is not cost effective. Use DSColour labs for dirt cheap prints at a quality you would never get anywhere near to at home

Thanks for both comments. Totally agree with Addy BUT photography is her hobby and reasoning doesn't come into it. Just ordered the printer (Epson) and 2 lots of inks which aren't far off the price of the printer. He he! That's love for you!

Quote Originally Posted by soreeneater View Post
    Thanks for both comments. Totally agree with Addy BUT photography is her hobby and reasoning doesn't come into it. Just ordered the printer (Epson) and 2 lots of inks which aren't far off the price of the printer. He he! That's love for you!
    Keep us informed on results......i'm thinking of getting a decent printer. Also does anyone know if you can put slightly thicker watercolour type papers through the Epson type above??

Look at the price of prints at the lab I mentioned - they are ridicuously low and are pro quality - not your guff from the Asda lab. 18" X 12" for just £1.20! Can't even get that size on your desktop printer at home!! Much easier/better/cheaper than having a lump of plastic cluttering up a corner of your house churning out average looking results.

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    Look at the price of prints at the lab I mentioned - they are ridicuously low and are pro quality - not your guff from the Asda lab. 18" X 12" for just £1.20! Can't even get that size on your desktop printer at home!! Much easier/better/cheaper than having a lump of plastic cluttering up a corner of your house churning out average looking results.
    Cheers Ady...will do.

I've got the Epson R240, which is a perfectly good printer, but now I've got a decent camera I've been looking around for a decent place to get better quality prints done. Perhaps there's room for both?

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    but now I've got a decent camera I've been looking around for a decent place to get better quality prints done.
    Loxleys or DSColour labs are as good as you will get. Compare either to your Epson results and you will have it on ebay quicker than Alastair Brownlee in a Woodhead production.

Check brother printers. these use ink cartridges without inbuilt chips so 1. are much cheaper to buy and 2. can be refilled. Also, if you use a lot of ink you can get external resevoirs that are much cheaper.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth