Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Cramp!

Re: Cramp!

Is fell running cramp different from all other sorts of cramp?

well seems like it is!! The cramp I get in the middle of the night after alcohol, has nothing to do with being fit for purpose or correct training?? something else is causing it. Likewise that chap who gave us the anecdote about working in tropical climes.....

I have to agree with the reverend on this, many times when I first wake in the morning my first movement of my calves brings on a big dose of cramp which does not go down well with the wife at 5am, tbh its becoming blooming irritating now.

Master

Try stretching them just before you go to bed, then again BEFORE you get out of bed in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Difficult to believe that Profs Newsholme and Saltin do not know what they are talking about - but maybe in some people under unusual circumstances ......
    True, so if you find their advice convincing and it works for you, follow it. I'll stick with what experience has shown works for me. Though the comments about appropriate training make a lot of sense to me too so I've added some calf exercises to my training.

Avoiding Cramp during Marathon

Anyone got any tips/advice for avoiding cramp during a marathon? I'm doing the Snowdonia Marathon on the 29th and suffered badly last year, hamstrings started tightening around mile 18 before finally cramping at 24.
    I have read that starting too quickly is a major cause of later cramps. Could be correct as I did start too quickly last year, knew I'd overcooked it at 8 miles and was knackered at Beddgelert. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Re: Avoiding Cramp during Mara

Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    Anyone got any tips/advice for avoiding cramp during a marathon? I'm doing the Snowdonia Marathon on the 29th and suffered badly last year, hamstrings started tightening around mile 18 before finally cramping at 24.
    I have read that starting too quickly is a major cause of later cramps. Could be correct as I did start too quickly last year, knew I'd overcooked it at 8 miles and was knackered at Beddgelert. Any advice greatly appreciated!
    Cramp is a very complex thing and can be due to a number of causes. I've run about 10 marathons and only once had cramp - like yours it started late and ruined the last 3 miles. I'd not started too fast but have done in the past without getting cramp. I had done a heavy weekend of mountain racing only a week before so I put mine down to muscle fatigue.

Dehydration and salt depletion are I think the most common cause but be cautious as over hydration can be deadly as can too an overdose of salts - the key here is about getting the right amount to replace what you're losing but not more. I use Nuun for fell races but have never used it in a road race.

Good luck, I hope you can get this sorted.

I think there is a thread about cramp somewhere in the health section.
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

I'll second the Nuun's tablets, never had cramp when i've used them. 3 Peaks Race, 3 Peaks Cyclocross, Lakeland 50 this year (very hot) suffered badly with cramp in the past and ended up walking like a monkey!
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    I'll second the Nuun's tablets, never had cramp when i've used them. 3 Peaks Race, 3 Peaks Cyclocross, Lakeland 50 this year (very hot) suffered badly with cramp in the past and ended up walking like a monkey!
    But experiment first as although I can use them post race I can't use them whilst running as they give me stomach cramps. I prefer to nibble on something like cheddars, for example, if I'm running long.

Motto is trial and error see what works.

Quote Originally Posted by Flopsy View Post
    But experiment first as although I can use them post race I can't use them whilst running as they give me stomach cramps. I prefer to nibble on something like cheddars, for example, if I'm running long.

Motto is trial and error see what works.
    Good Motto Flopsy, a friend of mine uses salted peanuts, whatever works for oneself.
    Hills and Guinness!

I think too much emphasis is put on cramp due to dehydration - yep you can certainly get cramp if you're dehydrated but you can also get it far more obviously if you're running too fast/far for your fitness level, if the hills in the race are harder than you're used to (a strong possibility I'd say in Snowdonia) or if you've done a daft last minute spike in your running just before the race (me at this years 3 peaks ).
    Last edited by Stolly; 18-10-2011 at 07:21 AM.