Thread: Glasses

Glasses

There was someone at the Kinder Trial on Saturday with a pair of cut down reading glasses - these orienteering glasses I think. I don't wear glasses other than for close-up things like reading, and really struggle with mapreading and running (individually and together!). I've heard of people wearing different contact lenses in each eye, but I don't wear contact lenses or have very good vision in my left eye, so that wouldn't help me.

Has anyone tried orienteering glasses? How do you manage wearing them and seeing the ground to run?

Re: Glasses

Theres a couple of other threads discussing this sort of issue if you'd like to do a search. Its becoming a more pressing issue for me because I've just had laser eye surgery (hence a bit of posting on the forum and NO RUNNING all week) and as a result I'm really pleased with my improved distance vision but my close vision is now less good than it was. I'm OK with that, I knew it was a trade off and I was prepared to accept that but it does mean that maps etc are harder to read. I've been playing around with magnifying glasses of various sorts for a bit now and I almost bought a specific one to attach to my thumb compass - I've held off to let my vision settle down and see how I manage first. In the meantime the best thing I have found is a flat plastic magnifier about 2" by 1", you can get them from Compasspoint online or from a lot of outdoor and other shops for a pound or two. I have it on a lanyard on my wrist, when not in use it tucks under my watch strap or inside my sleeve.

Search? Yes, I tried that before starting a new thread.

I don't think I could manage more something else flapping about in my hand in addition to map and thumb compass, so a magnifier isn't going to work for me.

I normally run without specs due to steaming up etc. And if I do put them on I can't seem to run downhill as quickly!

You want the Thread: "Short Sighted and reading Maps" in the Health section. I agree, searching isn't easy. I tried to find this thread with "short sight" but got nowhere.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    You want the Thread: "Short Sighted and reading Maps" in the Health section. I agree, searching isn't easy. I tried to find this thread with "short sight" but got nowhere.
    No wonder I couldn't find anything useful! I'm not short sighted, and I wouldn't have thought of looking in "Health". Thanks for your help.