Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to control the breathing?

How to control the breathing?

Hello Guys,

I have been running for a while and I just want to know if there is a technique to control your breathing when running. Sometimes I just want to keep running but I'm breathing to much. I see other runners that they look so calm when running ... how can I do that?

Thanks!

Master

Re: How to control the breathi

The only way to control your breathing is to control your energy expenditure - if you are very breathless you are going anaerobic and will not be able to keep it up for long. Don't be fooled by a common illusion - if those around you are breathing much the same as you, your breathing will sound much louder. I am assuming you are not one of those " here I come " breathers - people who consciously or not make an unnecessary noise every time they breath out.

I breathe in time with my running. Usually when I start a run it's in for two steps & out for two steps, or even out for 3 if I'm taking it easy. When I hit a hill I switch to in for 1 step, out for 2. When it's steep it's in for 1 step, out for 1. It seems to work for me. When I'm getting knackered I tend to breathe in for 1 out for 2 even on the flat, & when I catch myself doing that I try to calm down a bit & get back to 2/2. When I hit a short steep bit I sometimes switch to 1/1 early before I need to, to get more oxygen in. I do most of it automatically now. I've never discussed this with anyone, so I've no idea whether anyone else does the same. It seems to work for me, although there's a good chance it's all in my head, i.e. giving me psychological help rather than physical help. Does anyone else do this, or am I the nutter on the bus? I've got fairly limited lung capacity btw, so controlling my breathing may be more important for me than some.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Master

Almost everyone has excessive lung capacity, even for running really hard. We get breathless because of acidosis and CO2 build up - breathing more than you need to will help these a bit for a short time but will not give you more O2 - you will be getting plenty of this already unless you are at significant altitude - and the increased respiratory muscle energy expenditure will be self defeating in the end. Most people automatically end up breathing 4 to 1, then 2 to 1, then 1 to 1 as they expend more energy - but different patterns exist and do no harm. In a sense your breathing controls you, not the other way round - learn to monitor it - it will tell you a lot.

Thanks guys!...

I think it is good to try and control the breathing a little: I know sometimes I too easily start blowing and that in turn makes me feel more tired.

I know when I feel best - even when I'm running quite quickly - my breathing is steady and deep rather than quick and shallow. And if I focus on breathing deep and steady I often feel better and stronger.

whenever I run, I always breath in and count 4 seconds then breath out. It relaxes my breathing and makes it controlled. after a while of doing it, I don't realise I'm doing it. I don't get out of breath during races and it means I can go all out for the last mile or so. I am quite fit, and have a good speed finish. But this breathing pattern works for me, I started using it because a mountain marathon runner explained in runner's world magaine that they ran like that because they were running uphill and on uneven terrain so breathing is less controlled. This is just my way of controlling my breathing, and making sure I don't blow out before the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by trigger88 View Post
    I started using it because a mountain marathon runner explained in runner's world magaine that they ran like that
    And you believe everything you read in Runner's World?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by trigger88 View Post
    whenever I run, I always breath in and count 4 seconds then breath out. It relaxes my breathing and makes it controlled. after a while of doing it, I don't realise I'm doing it. I don't get out of breath during races and it means I can go all out for the last mile or so. I am quite fit, and have a good speed finish. But this breathing pattern works for me, I started using it because a mountain marathon runner explained in runner's world magaine that they ran like that because they were running uphill and on uneven terrain so breathing is less controlled. This is just my way of controlling my breathing, and making sure I don't blow out before the finish.
    At any given level of exertion, there is a minimum amount of breathing we need to do to get rid of CO2 - and normally we breathe at or slightly above that level - any attempt to breathe less is futile - it is a bit like trying to hold your breath - you can't keep it up for any significant length of time - though you can modify depth/rate if you want to. If you decide to hold your breath for some seconds each breath you will need to compensate by breathing more deeply +/- with more force when you do so, using your respiratory muscles in an unnatural and inefficient way, which will increase the work of breathing. Observe your breathing - if it is distressing you then you need to decide: am I going too fast and need to slow down - or am I willing to accept the pain ........

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    if it is distressing you then you need to decide: am I going too fast and need to slow down - or am I willing to accept the pain ........
    PAIN all the way mike, I use people as a help, if someone is in front of me, I need to overtake them, then once they are done, move on to the next target, if someone overtakes you, then its cat and mouse until someone backs down. But it's all good fun.