Thread: Descending Techniques

Descending Techniques

I got into fell running a couple years ago but have never thought about technique. I've always just run up and downhill the best way I could as fast as I could (depending on my nerve). Last year I was training hard and a previous knee injury started playing up so I had to lay off and have physio. I've been increasing my training again ready for the three peaks and whilst in the lakes this weekend, my knee started to twinge on the descents. However, I discovered that if I lean back, pull my stomach right in, tuck my bum under and kind of flick my feet out making sure my knees don't go past my ankles, I load my quads more and stress my knees less and I saved myself further pain (except the burning quads but I reckon I can strengthen them with exercise).

Is this a recognised technique? I suspect it must look a bit odd...kind of like cossack dancing! I know it probably is a case of working out what's right for you but I'd be really interested to hear more experienced fell runners recommendations/observations plus advice for saving knees!

Re: Descending Techniques

Sure you'll hear from more experienced fellrunners than me Hes, but i guess everyone has different bio-mechanics, so whatever's fastest and less painless for the individual, no matter how odd it looks, is about right. I always try to keep a bend in the knee and try to stay relaxed. Always get passed by the folk i've overtaken going uphill though!
    Hills and Guinness!

Check out these descenders, i ran this race but by the time i came down the camerman had packed up, gone home, had his tea and slept for eight hours!
    Hills and Guinness!

It depends a lot on what your running on.

Lots of big grassy descents where I live, so using your backside for balance works well. This technique is not recommended for scree or anything rocky!

keeping your arms out wide and loose seems to work for me, as does trying to plant each foot sole on to the terrain, thus enabling the maximum amount of sole to grip the ground.
    I can do the downs ok, a bit slow on all the rest though!

There was a long thread on descending including video of different styles, it may be one of those listed below.

Thanks for that, I tried searching the forum before I posted the thread but I don't ever seem to be able to use the search facility properly because it didn't turn up these!

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    There was a long thread on descending including video of different styles, it may be one of those listed below.

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the advice (and thanks to Shaunaneto and Plodding Bear too). That video is brilliant! I recced that with a friend last year (I have never done the race) and descended the rocky scree bit...by the time I got to the bottom, my friend had had time to eat his sandwiches! It was hair-raising but it made me realise that you have to keep moving or you get buried in rock. Have you seen the size of some of those guys' quads! Good to see the varying technique too.

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    Sure you'll hear from more experienced fellrunners than me Hes, but i guess everyone has different bio-mechanics, so whatever's fastest and less painless for the individual, no matter how odd it looks, is about right. I always try to keep a bend in the knee and try to stay relaxed. Always get passed by the folk i've overtaken going uphill though!

Hmmm...I've read all of the threads below and it seems that you should keep your knees bent and relaxed (well said Steve) and lean forward not backwards. Mind you, I was coming off Fairfield and then Seat Sandal when I tried my flicky foot thing and it was really steep so leaning forward could have meant landing at the bottom on my face!