Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 peaks yacht race

3 peaks yacht race

I`ve volunteered my running services for this race in June.has anyone out there done this one before?
    although i`ve been on all three summits before i`m not too sure which routes you have to take.
    From Ravenglass to Scafell pike,do you go via the A595 then along Wast water and up the main path from the car park at the end of the lake? and with Ben nevis,is it basically the race route?any advsie and tips would be greatly appreciated
    cheers

Re: 3 peaks yacht race

Scafell you ride your bike along some winding cycle route then up and over to ennerdale YHA. From there its run through the forestry up over black sail pass and straight up scafell then reverse. Ben Nevis is from the docks along the seafront then head on the road and up the ben following the main path. You cannot however enter the red burn area and have to take the swinging path to the tarn then up. Snowdon is road from caenarfon up through waunfaur and straight to ranger path up, down the llanberis side and on road back, theres a little option to follow the track by the side of the lake outside llanberis which is advisable as you avoid a little rise and your legs are battered by this point anyhow......... Absolutely mint race, I was abit seasick at first but ginger beer and ginger cake (apparently a remedy) sorted me out.

Cheers Slovatt,
    I know the Snowdon route vry well as i`m from the area ,it sound like the ben route is the same as the race ,barring the red burn section.it seems i`ll have to have a look at the map for the Scafell route,hows the nav on this leg?? and which leg are most likley to be done in the night? the boat i`m in will be up there with the leaders (no pressure then)

I thought they'd stopped using Ravenglass now, & switched to Whitehaven, hence the need for a bike as it's so much further from Scafell.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    I thought they'd stopped using Ravenglass now, & switched to Whitehaven, hence the need for a bike as it's so much further from Scafell.
    Yes definately Whitehaven , Watch out for the Bar and the quickly draining channel.

If I can get my fittness back this will be my 3rd PPPYR, this time with Marvin

Let me have your email address by PM and I'll send you some details. This will be my third year on the trot. Which Yacht are you on?

Yeah Whitehaven sorry. You on GFT the rocksteady? I ran on their cruise liner last year, seriously nice ship. Snowdon leg is pretty much definately in the dark, the other two who knows the nav on the cycle legs probably the hardest bit on the whole trip lakes is straight forward and so is the Ben.

Yes on GFT,are you running this year?
    sorry but `im not that samiliar with the Lakes,only been on the summit of SP on the Borrowdale race.
    do you cycle to Bowness car park then run onto Blacksail Pass via High Gillerthwaite,Blacksail Hut then Wasdale head -Lingmell Gill- Broad Stand-Scafell pike ?
    what kind of bike would you use? can you MTB through Ennerdale forest?

No not running this year. You cycle to the hostel at gillerthwaite cant remeber exactly how we got there sure someone will have details, Its approx 15 miles all road or surfaced tarmac cycle path, its quick but a few dog walkers and people out and about a few shouts of "on yer right" etc did the job. However just before you reach the hostel theres maybe 1.5 miles of gravel track, I did it all on slick tyred road bike but was scared of puncturing and did quite spectactulary deck it at one point. I reckon the speed you get on the road bike on the hard stuff makes up for the advantage you may gain on the "off road" bit and most of the quick teams seemed to be on roadies.

From the hostel its on the path to black sail hostel then straight over black sail pass past the pub and on the road past the car park on the left then direct up Scafell via Lingmell Gill, this appeared to be the way they say you have to go although I think some people may have deviated knowing a quicker line, I dont think theres much in it tho as the main track is well worn and quick running.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    Yes on GFT,are you running this year?
    sorry but `im not that samiliar with the Lakes,only been on the summit of SP on the Borrowdale race.
    do you cycle to Bowness car park then run onto Blacksail Pass via High Gillerthwaite,Blacksail Hut then Wasdale head -Lingmell Gill- Broad Stand-Scafell pike ?
    what kind of bike would you use? can you MTB through Ennerdale forest?
    It's all in my emails to you yesterday afternoon. Whether you do the runs in the dark is dependent on weather, tides and how fast your boat is. You might finish up doing all in daylight or even all in the dark (although that's much less likely!). You could always wait until it gets light if you don't like the dark.