Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3 peaks yacht race

Re: 3 peaks yacht race

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    If Marvin has emailed you what I think he has then you have ample time to practice 2/ and 3/. If you've done a lot of AL races then you'll enjoy watching all the road runners flagging on Scafell and dying coming back out over Black Sail Pass. Just make sure you beat them back to the boats with some fast cycling!
    Yep, pretty much what I sent you last year.

A thought just ocurred to me on my run in to work this morning:

If the three peaks yacht race is called "The Three Peaks Yacht Race"

Why isn't the other version called "The Three Peaks Car Race"?

Very jealous Rocksteady. It's one of those lifetime highlight moments! Still think about my 1 participation even though it was 1989!
    Did Snowdon at about 3 am..very dark and we had nearly capsized coming in and I'd spent most of the afternoon being sick! Ideal prep!
    Did Scafell in thick cloud. Went up Lords rake by mistake but we gathered it back.
    Rowed a 30 foot yacht through the Menai Straits against a changing tide and again through the Sound of Jura...hours and hours!
    The last day was SPECTACULAR. Cut-throat sailing against a slightly faster yacht to keep us in contention for a flyer on the Ben. The extra bit of road and canal towpath to get to Corpach is a bit tiresome but we trashed it and set 2nd fastest Ben time. VERY happy memories!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    A thought just ocurred to me on my run in to work this morning:

If the three peaks yacht race is called "The Three Peaks Yacht Race"

Why isn't the other version called "The Three Peaks Car Race"?
    Because they all use minibuses these days. Boom Boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Very jealous Rocksteady. It's one of those lifetime highlight moments! Still think about my 1 participation even though it was 1989!
    Did Snowdon at about 3 am..very dark and we had nearly capsized coming in and I'd spent most of the afternoon being sick! Ideal prep!
    Did Scafell in thick cloud. Went up Lords rake by mistake but we gathered it back.
    Rowed a 30 foot yacht through the Menai Straits against a changing tide and again through the Sound of Jura...hours and hours!
    The last day was SPECTACULAR. Cut-throat sailing against a slightly faster yacht to keep us in contention for a flyer on the Ben. The extra bit of road and canal towpath to get to Corpach is a bit tiresome but we trashed it and set 2nd fastest Ben time. VERY happy memories!
    how did you get on? did you win?odly enough i`m looking forward to the sailing bit as the views of the mountains from the vantage point of a boat at sea can be quite spectacular and not often seen by fellrunners.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    how did you get on? did you win?odly enough i`m looking forward to the sailing bit as the views of the mountains from the vantage point of a boat at sea can be quite spectacular and not often seen by fellrunners.
    the view up the sound of Jura is superb if it's daylight and sunny, superb cruising country.

1st and a 2nd for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    I can't honestly remember and it matters not in the slightest! It really is one of the events where winning is a very distant second best to actually taking part. As Ian says, the run up through the Sound of Jura through to Fort William is unforgettable. But the best bit was sodding about on the boat. I was spectacularly seasick sailing hard into the wind but otherwise OK. The first time we flew the spinnaker and got planing was magical. Rowing the stupid thing was hilarious. Trying to get the keel unstuck from the mud in Ravenglass was completely bonkers and running aground outside Caernarfon in the dark completely scary! Learning a whole new vernacular and world view offered by the sailors was also great fun. And when it was our turn? We ran like Trojans!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I'm a first-timer on this race this year, with a Topsham sailing club team, boat 'Beeline', skippered by Kate Hattersley. Am training hard - I'm used to marathon distance, some fell running, some 12+ hr adventure racing but I'll need all the strength I can muster for the multiday nature of the event. Really looking forward to it.

If anyone hears of teams finding themselves short of a runner, I'd be keen to volunteer and can take the time off.

I'm doing 3 Ironman races this summer (including the Norseman) and am race fit pretty much all the time. I've always wanted to do this race as it sounds awesome!

Is it best to volunteer on the Three Peaks website or here?

I'd do both, but this is probably more effective as there is a lot more traffic here than the 3PYR. Worth bumping it up every now and then to make sure those that need to know see it. I'd be very surprised if you don't get a run as there are always people looking for last minute replacements because of injury or illness.