Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Soup - back on the menu?

Heptonstall Recces

Join us for a recce of the www.heptonstallfellrace.org.uk (15 miles 3200 ft) and enjoy a free bowl of soup at the White Lion, Heptonstall afterwards. Really, does life get any better?
    If 15 miles might spoil your appetite there's a 9-10 mile option too!
    Weavers Square, Heptonstall - just across the road from the White Lion pub. A range of dates can be planned - 5th of Feb, then any weekend there after if enough people are up for it
    Last edited by Trig; 07-02-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Re: FREE SOUP! 5th Feb

Just to confirm its still on - 8.45 for a 9am start - plenty of Calder Valley & Tod Harriers confirmed - all ability levels.
    To allow everyone a good run its likely that there will be a faster group aiming to do the full 15 miles, with a medium/steady doing anything between 7-10 miles (bail out options are easy as race loops in and out of Hardcastle Crags). Everyone then gets back in time for soup at White Lion pub at 12.00.
    Its looking wild! Bring your waterproofs! (and a change of clothes for the pub)
    Careful where you park - look out for restricted zone signs - its easy to get a ticket as there's no yellow lines
    See you on Saturday

I'll be there - medium/steady for me as I'm working out a hamstring tweak picked up at the Pennine Bridleway Relay.

Nice one - that PBW was as hard as concrete - not surprised your joints took a pasting. No danger of hard surfaces on Saturday - bring a rubber ring for the bogs!!

I'll be there for a shorter run. Rombalds Stride should be interesting for anyone doing it. Good luck in this weather. We were going to go cycling for the weekend but I value my life too much. See you at all Heptonstall.

Its reassuring to see so many hardy folk not put off by a breeze and a bit of damp air.

Leaving a bag of warm gear and towel at the pub

Barry at White Lion has offered his outbuilding as a safe place to leave bags (warm gear and towel. Parking may be all over the village - which won't be fun at the end). Having gear at the pub means people can get straight in and by the fire at the end. Check my other messages and forum for parking advice.
    Last edited by Trig; 04-02-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Like the website. Also like the look of the route. I'm going to get Wadsworth Trog out of the way before I get out and recce this.

Trog should be fun if the weather carries on see you there Scodler - hope you can spread the HFR word in Rossendale - what time do you expect to do Trog in?
    Last edited by Trig; 15-02-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Good to see a healthy no of people for todays reccie (what else could we be doing on a wet n windy Saturday ). Thank you to Trig for arranging the excellent soup & chilli in the pub & for creating a testing but mostly runnable course - save something for the last climb kids otherwise you will be crawling on all fours.......

Yes it was great to be out there with runners from different clubs all sharing the same wet experience. Excellent but tough route and like Manhar says.... Someone with a sense of humour put that last climb in just before the finish. You have been warned. Thanks all for a good day out.