Thread: Ladies running backpacks.

Ladies running backpacks.

Hi,
    I have been looking through the equipment threads and can't quite find an answer can anyone help?
    I am struggling to find a backpack for running about 12-18l - but i can't find one that adjusts small enough so it doesn't jig about.

i got the Innov8 Race pro think its the 18l for x mas and it's ok but it is fully adjusted as small as it will go....the waist is ok but the straps won't go any shorter and it moves too much when running - i did a 24 miler yesterday and my back is really sore today and it's because of the movemnet of the pack.

I'm not tiny! Am about 5ft4 and a size 8........any girls out there who can suggest a pack that adjusts small enough?

Am thinnking of just cutting the straps on my innov8 and getting it restitched as a smaller size!
    Thanks

Re: Ladies running backpacks.

I'm very happy with my OMM. At 5'9" I'm not small, but I'm very thin. However, I never run with a rucsac directly touching my skin - always wear a top with some kind of collar.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

It's always difficult with such things at it's not just about your body size, it's personal preference. Like Alexandra I too am not small at 5ft 10 but I do have a very slim top half - although broad shoulders too. I find that I can adjust the straps down tight enough but that I have miles of strap flapping around becuase of it.

I assume you mean the rucksack is not touching your back directly but it is the friction caused as it rubs against your top, which then rubs on your back. One tip is that if you're using a bladder remember that the rucksack needs to be reguarly tightened up to account for the loss of volumn in your backpack.

I run with a variety of packs to be honest. Most of them are older sacks though. I like my bladdered but it doesn't have waist belt pockets. I also like my salamon one, which has waist pockets but only one compartment. Neither rub though. For a slightly larger sack for things like MM's I found my 64 zero really comfortable.

My mate, who is slim and smaller than me likes her small OMM for long races etc and I may try one of them too once I have so money coming in again. So you may want to try that? The bladder sits on the waist and that might make a difference with weight and friction??? OMM seems very very popular at the moment.

Have you tried a bum bag? You can get a lot in them and there are some larger ones that also hold a bladder. OMM do one of those too.

I have found it an expensive process becuase until you run with it you don't know if it suits and that makes for expensive mistakes! That's why I have older ones that I've stuck with.

Good luck. I think it'll be trial and error though.

I have a North Face one which is very comfortable. They are quite pricey though.
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

at 5'6 and 50kg I know that some are too big. My MM partner has the same problem.
    For me OMM 10l is great.
    OMM 25L is marginal- shoulder straps are slightly too big. Not an issue in winter as extra layers take up the slack and it doesn't rub too much and if do hip bit as tight as it goes.
    Summer MM more of an issue- rubs on may neck and kidney area, shoulders will not go quite as tight as needed and with ony a vest on neither does waist belt.
    Did try a Lowe Alpine one but that was even bigger.
    Have no tried an INOV8 one.
    Hae bought a decathlon 15L, with a bladder and all for 20 quid but again shoulder straps are just a little big and so it rubs on my neck and in summer I do not want a high collar really.
    Have also got 4 tiny McKinleys in the family. Very narrow and they have lots of adjustment. But bought them abroad and they are not as light but are very very comfortable.