Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracking a runner

Tracking a runner

Hi,

I've recently had two unexplained seizures where I lose consciousness for a couple of minutes. Neither of them have happened whilst running or doing anything active and I've been told to carry on as normal (apart from driving) while it is being investigated. My wife is less than happy about me running on my own. Is there any sort of GPS system that can be tracked live online, i.e. she could monitor where I was from home while I was out running. I remember someone doing a Bob Graham with live updates on his website?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and could help greatly with peace of mind.

CHeers,

Rob

Re: Tracking a runner

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
    Hi,

I've recently had two unexplained seizures where I lose consciousness for a couple of minutes. Neither of them have happened whilst running or doing anything active and I've been told to carry on as normal (apart from driving) while it is being investigated. My wife is less than happy about me running on my own. Is there any sort of GPS system that can be tracked live online, i.e. she could monitor where I was from home while I was out running. I remember someone doing a Bob Graham with live updates on his website?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and could help greatly with peace of mind.

CHeers,

Rob
    There are trackers available but quite a few phones have this facility.

I think Google have a mobile phone application that works with a PC. Check their site.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

If you've got an iPhone, you can do live tracking through the mapmyrun website apparently.
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/imapmy/iphone/

http://www.findmespot.eu/en/

The spot tracker will give you live tracking. It looks an interesting system but I don't know anyone who has used one. I always thought it would be good for tracking Bob Grahams.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

http://runningdigital.com/ has some quite interesting info about android apps which will do this.
    James

Have used Google Maps a few times, usually so my wife can find me to pick me up. If you have a Nokia phone with the satnav then you can track it from the Nokia Maps web site as well (but never tried this).

Hope you make a quick recovery - I had a friend who had something similar and has made a full recovery.

A couple of years ago a fundraising group called the fells angels completed the BGR as a relay with each person doing 1 mile each, carrying a transponder of some type. We were able to track their progress on-line in real time.

Also, years ago I was heavily into falconry and often had to rely on radio telemetry to find lost hawks & falcons. The bird would wear a transmitter that gave a range of about 15 miles - it's old technology now but was very effective for that purpose

Tomsdad
    Last edited by tomsdad; 24-02-2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Thought of something more
    Someone has to bring up the rear

Great Uncle Bulgaria

I've not tried it because I don't like social networking but any smartphone with a Facebook app (usually embedded at purchase whether you like it or not) will transmit its location to your Facebook page (ironically it is standard advice to single whatever we call non-males, to disable this feature for safety reasons). Your wife could very easily monitor location either from a PC or another smartphone. Accuracy might be an issue but if you have the phones its free and worth a trial.

I use http://www.sportstracklive.com/ on my Android phone. The basic version doesn't have live tracking but the "pro" version does, it costs 5.99 which doesn't break the bank either. I've kept track of my missus when she's been doing her long solo training runs (just to make sure she's not going round t'corner to some mates for wine & dorito's, or even worse..... Oh my God I'm paranoid now!!!), & it does seem pretty good so far.