Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compression Clothing

Compression Clothing

Any one tried any of the leg wear, whether skins, under armour etc? Wondered about some for probls with top of legs.

Master

Re: Compression Clothing

I have some Nike ones-admittedly not as expensive as skins etc and the effects are noticable but not as drastic as with the calf socks...worth a try though
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

I tore my hamstring about 2 or 3 years ago. I was advised to try some Skins & I have to say they really helped. I now always wear them.

I use skins for recovery after hard or long runs/races and occasionally use them to run in if I'm coming back from injury or have a slight niggle that could do with a bit of extra support. They help loads imho.

Have tried a couple, Skins have seemed effective in a post-race capacity, as a recovery practice, however, I dont particularly like them for actually exercising in.
    CW-X, which seem to be a bit harder to get hold of in this country are definitely the best (in my humble experience) for during race/exercise support.
    the compression system actually seems to work a whole lot better in supporting musculature and alignment of kneecap etc. (and help no end when Im snowboarding)

I have a pair of the Nike pro combat compression tights, they are cheaper than skins but do seem to hold things in ok but have suffered with chaffing at the top of my inner thighs if its rainy!!! The calf compression socks are brilliant as mentioned.

Master

I wear 2XU leggings most of the time - do seem to cut down muscle soreness, are comfortable, and do not rub, even on long runs. Have not had the opportunity to try them in a prolonged downpour.

Quote Originally Posted by martmason View Post
    The calf compression socks are brilliant as mentioned.
    but why / what do they do?

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    but why / what do they do?
    What they should do is encourage/help the blood to return up the leg towards the heart for re-oxygenation after we have used up oxygen by exercise. This is unfortunately rather a fallible process in humans, presumably due to our verticality, which means the blood has to struggle hard against gravity. Hence humans' very common problems with varicose veins, where valves become weak or ineffective, and swollen ankles. Compression socks should be tighter on the feet and ankles, progressively slightly looser the further up the leg they go.

I am repeating here what I have said more than once before: the compression socks most likely to work well and represent good value for money are the Dr Scholl type ones found in chemists (and on prescription from GPs). They come in a choice of 3 strengths (I wear and reccomend 2 = medium, but I suspect the trendy ones bought in sports shops are only 1 = light). They also have on the pack a chart showing the various leg and foot measurements suitable for the various sizes. They can also be got made to measure, but I think only on prescription - the chemist measures me for mine, and the number of measurements she takes, each leg separately, makes me realise what a blunt instrument off the peg socks can be. Once again, if compression socks don't fit correctly they won't have any effect other thann placebo.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    What they should do is encourage/help the blood to return up the leg towards the heart for re-oxygenation after we have used up oxygen by exercise. This is unfortunately rather a fallible process in humans, presumably due to our verticality, which means the blood has to struggle hard against gravity. Hence humans' very common problems with varicose veins, where valves become weak or ineffective, and swollen ankles. Compression socks should be tighter on the feet and ankles, progressively slightly looser the further up the leg they go.

I am repeating here what I have said more than once before: the compression socks most likely to work well and represent good value for money are the Dr Scholl type ones found in chemists (and on prescription from GPs). They come in a choice of 3 strengths (I wear and reccomend 2 = medium, but I suspect the trendy ones bought in sports shops are only 1 = light). They also have on the pack a chart showing the various leg and foot measurements suitable for the various sizes. They can also be got made to measure, but I think only on prescription - the chemist measures me for mine, and the number of measurements she takes, each leg separately, makes me realise what a blunt instrument off the peg socks can be. Once again, if compression socks don't fit correctly they won't have any effect other thann placebo.
    Interesting stuff. I was looking at the Skins ones, but noticed they don't cover the foot, just the calf. Reading this, I think I'll stick to the ones mentioned above. (I wear Scholl travel socks/stockings on one leg every day as had a DVT.)