Thread: HRM / Bike comp / GPS options?

HRM / Bike comp / GPS options?

I know there was a thread along these lines recently but I couldn't find it. Anyhow ...

Having got into cycling, I'm on the lookout for a bike computer + HRM. And then thought, well it would be nice to have one that could be wrist-mounted so I could use it for running too.

1. What is a good basic option, without GPS functionality? And what data would it give me when running, as opposed to riding?

2. Do computers / watches that measure ascent always use GPS to do so - i.e., if I want that functionality am I looking at a GPS device of some sort, or do cheaper bike comp.s / watches measure ascent in some other way - a basic altimeter?

3. If I did want to splash out a bit more, what I would find most useful is a simple OS grid ref. spot reading for emergencies when running. Do any devices just have this without all the other fancy GPS stuff (route recording, downloading, waymarking etc etc)?

Excuse my dimness here and ta in advance...

Re: HRM / Bike comp / GPS opti

Have a look at Suunto HRMs, I have been very pleased with mine. It has a 'coach function' which develops a training plan for you and you can download it to a computer etc but from the perspective of your particular questions, it comes as a watch, you can bike mount it of course, but it also has the option of adding foot, bike and GPS pods that link up to it giving you speed and distance(and cadence I think) info as well as HR info etc. I dont think you can get a Grid Ref from it though. I've just used mine as a HRM so I cant say how good the bike,foot or GPS pods are but the rest of the kit, including the chest belt which is the most comfortable I have ever used is excellent. The data it provides as well as current heart rate is average, max, calories and 'training effect' which is a measure of the effort used on your session and which is also provided as a target within the training programme. If you download it you can also add other info to the charts such as resting heart rate.
    Suunto also do altimeters and they measure ascent based on air pressure not GPS but GPS watches might be different - I use a Suunto Vector alongside the HRM and it gives some useful info as well as current height - ie total climb/descent and interestingly the average climb and descent rates which is useful for comparison. I suspect that if you have enough money they also do a device that combines all these functions.
    Last edited by Mark G; 19-02-2011 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    I know there was a thread along these lines recently but I couldn't find it. Anyhow ...

Having got into cycling, I'm on the lookout for a bike computer + HRM. And then thought, well it would be nice to have one that could be wrist-mounted so I could use it for running too.

1. What is a good basic option, without GPS functionality? And what data would it give me when running, as opposed to riding?

2. Do computers / watches that measure ascent always use GPS to do so - i.e., if I want that functionality am I looking at a GPS device of some sort, or do cheaper bike comp.s / watches measure ascent in some other way - a basic altimeter?

3. If I did want to splash out a bit more, what I would find most useful is a simple OS grid ref. spot reading for emergencies when running. Do any devices just have this without all the other fancy GPS stuff (route recording, downloading, waymarking etc etc)?

Excuse my dimness here and ta in advance...
    look at the garmin 310xt. i got one at xmas and it can be set up for bike and running and a cadence monitor can be added.
    it will give ascent, speed in fact everything and put it on google maps. it will also give you a current grid location and do a bread trail back to start. you can also race against a virtual partner or race against yourself from a previous run of the course. comes with a heart monitor. it is not the cheapest but it is excellent

Yep... 310xt... not cheap but loads of scope for upgrades. It's ANT+ compatible too so, if you really get into your riding and get a power meter, it'll talk to that too.

Master

Take a look at one of these http://www.timexironman.com/Products...rainer_GPS.htm Pretty much covers the lot especially when used in conjunction with

this. http://home.trainingpeaks.com/
    The older I get the Faster I was

thanks all for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    Yep... 310xt... not cheap but loads of scope for upgrades. It's ANT+ compatible too so, if you really get into your riding and get a power meter, it'll talk to that too.
    It looks great but I just get the feeling that the 310xt will have loads of gubbins I won't use? When you see the cost of basic bike comp.s / HRMs, you need to justify that extra £200 ...