Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 469

Thread: Duddon Fell Race

  1. #1

    Cool Duddon Fell Race

    Hi there,

    Do you all know that the start has been moved to ease congestion (approx 500 entered now.....)? There will be no need to fight your way through the woods, or over the river!

    The start will be in farmer's fields near Wallabarrow Farm. There will be a taped 400m loop round the fields, then through the farmyard and up the lane towards Wallabarrow Crag and Grassguards.

    Details (including Grid Ref and map: scroll down!) are on:

    http://www.duddonvalley.co.uk/phdi/p...cument&part=14

    No camping at the Newfield the night before (use Turner Hall campsite), but people will be allowed to camp by the pub on the Saturday night after the cars have mostly gone.

    Numbers and dibbers will be issued at Seathwaite Parish Rooms (near the pub), and the route to the start will be marked.

    There will be some water provided at 3 Shires Stone, but this may run out, so you may need to use the stream before 3 Shires Stone instead.

    See you on the day - I'll be the one in the sheep wagon (doing results).

    Mike

  2. #2
    Master GeoffB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Mills - but usually on Kinder
    Posts
    1,980

    Re: Duddon Fell Race

    Moving the start sounds like an excellent idea. I had been rather worried about that!

    I've had no chance to recce this race, so I'm going to have a good close look at the map beforehand. Anyone know if maps are going to be issued as they were at Fairfield? It's not a problem, I'll just buy one if not.

  3. #3
    alwaysinjured
    Guest

    Re: Duddon Fell Race

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Moving the start sounds like an excellent idea. I had been rather worried about that!

    I've had no chance to recce this race, so I'm going to have a good close look at the map beforehand. Anyone know if maps are going to be issued as they were at Fairfield? It's not a problem, I'll just buy one if not.

    Duddon race map is available - I have one purchased at fairfield!

    PS

    Duddon is one of those races, that in clag is a nightmare to navigate if you havent reccied or got a mental picture of what it looks like.

    Problems are:
    Finding hardknott summit - I find staying right of the massif until the last moment helps avoid false summits, but thats not what they show on the map ( will there be a cowbell?)

    Avoiding rough ground off hardknott, and crags on little stand, and then finding little stand summit: To do this stay right of the straight line then swing in at the end for little stand.

    Finding the trod over gaitkins.
    Go up the RHS of little stand until you can find a grassy way down ( it is crag and steep if you go too early. Stay high up to cross the Gill - if you find it difficult to cross and is a ravine, then you are crossing it too low down. Dead reckon a bearing for gaitkins and from there when you see the little tarn you will start to pick up a trod under cold pike, that goes all the way down.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Manhar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ashway stone
    Posts
    802

    Thumbs up Re: Duddon Fell Race

    Not entered this one as I know I'm not yet ready for it (nor even the half) but was wondering where would be a good vantage point to hand out cheerful banter / jelly babies / water etc - that is if I don't do Pen - y - Ghent instead.

  5. #5

    Re: Duddon Fell Race

    I quite fancy doing the half (more prep for Borrowdale) but the thought of only 40 people doing it puts me off - much more chance for me to be too far behind to see which way to go.

    Is it particularlly difficult to navigate the half?

    thanks
    emm

  6. #6
    Member Daftasabrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    South of Nowhere
    Posts
    28

    Re: Duddon Fell Race

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    Hi there,

    Do you all know that the start has been moved to ease congestion (approx 500 entered now.....)? There will be no need to fight your way through the woods, or over the river!

    The start will be in farmer's fields near Wallabarrow Farm. There will be a taped 400m loop round the fields, then through the farmyard and up the lane towards Wallabarrow Crag and Grassguards.

    Details (including Grid Ref and map: scroll down!) are on:

    http://www.duddonvalley.co.uk/phdi/p...cument&part=14

    No camping at the Newfield the night before (use Turner Hall campsite), but people will be allowed to camp by the pub on the Saturday night after the cars have mostly gone.

    Numbers and dibbers will be issued at Seathwaite Parish Rooms (near the pub), and the route to the start will be marked.

    There will be some water provided at 3 Shires Stone, but this may run out, so you may need to use the stream before 3 Shires Stone instead.

    See you on the day - I'll be the one in the sheep wagon (doing results).

    Mike
    Mike,
    HELP!

    My entry was posted on May 1st, and my name does not appear on the list of pre-entrants.

    We are spending a week in the Lakes specifically for Duddon Valley and Ennerdale.

    Please respond via PM.
    Thanks

  7. #7
    Senior Member theNoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    460

    Re: Duddon Fell Race

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhar View Post
    Not entered this one as I know I'm not yet ready for it (nor even the half) but was wondering where would be a good vantage point to hand out cheerful banter / jelly babies / water etc - that is if I don't do Pen - y - Ghent instead.
    Manhar,

    Watched it last year. With car? Park at start and watch the beginnings of course.... then drive to Cockley Beck. Park and walk a little way up Mosedale - you get a great view of them coming down off Hardknott Summit. I handed out water and food to great appreciation for the climb up to Little Stand. I remember watching the leaders start on little stand. I turned around after what seemed an age and could STILL seem them like little ants near the summit. Then drive to 3 shires stone and watch again, before returning to watch finish.
    Why walk when you can run.

  8. #8
    Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tenby bound.
    Posts
    1,313

    Re: Duddon Fell Race

    Quote Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
    Mike,
    HELP!

    My entry was posted on May 1st, and my name does not appear on the list of pre-entrants.

    We are spending a week in the Lakes specifically for Duddon Valley and Ennerdale.

    Please respond via PM.
    Thanks
    Daftasabrush, I am in no way connected with this race, but the entry list provided by the above link states that "Duddon Fell Race Entries to 1st May 2007".

    It may be that your entry hadn't arrived before the list was published. No need to panic just yet .
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Pike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    343

    Re: Duddon Fell Race

    Map (2 MB, PDF file).

  10. #10
    Senior Member ChrisU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    271

    Re: Duddon Fell Race

    There's a route map here:
    http://chris-upson.com/routes/Duddon.jpg
    Although the start might not be in quite the right place.

    If ayone runs the race with a GPS, I'd be interested to know the stats, since the route is clearly about 3 miles short of the quoted 20 miles.

Similar Threads

  1. Duddon
    By DazTheSlug in forum Recce
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 24-05-2010, 10:31 PM
  2. Duddon recce - next w/end?
    By ZootHornRollo in forum Recce
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 09:48 AM
  3. Duddon Race pictures
    By wrross in forum Races
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 02:43 PM
  4. Duddon Valley Fell Race
    By brett in forum Races
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 06:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •