Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three towers route.

Re: Three towers route.

I wouldn't mind having a go at this route. Ronnie needs help on his BG and i'm looking at having a go at the Paddy Buckley round, so you can give us a lift with that if your free

As far as I remember the race wasn't cancelled due to crossing the cemetary (no church or congregation there). Course did have a checkpoint added in its last couple of years to avoid that choice of route though. Think police made some demands re road crossings which were impractical but I may be wrong. I live on route (near the cemetary which I still run through regularly) and did it as a loop crossing back from holcombe to winter hill and rivi pike via turton and egerton before Xmas with couple of guys from our club. Good route @ 28 miles. Point 2 point was listed at 20 but closer to 18.

ps, you can see all the 3 towers from winter hill trig on a good day. Paul.

Where abouts is the cemetary, ive tried plotting a rough route on the map and cant see one.
    Also after Rivington tower did it go along Belmont road to Spittlers or over to winter hill first. Not sure of the best way from Tockholes to Darwen tower, then it seems the best way is to follow Witton weavers way to Cadshaw and Strawberry duck and then same route as 2 crosses circuit to Holcombe.

Route from pike to great hill was back down from pike to georges lane then past pigeon tower to rivington/Belmont road which you go on for 100 metres to get on spitttlers edge.

Few routes you could take to darwen tower. You want to end up going up aggies staircase from stepback brook. Going up from tockholes via royal pub probably simplest.

Cemetary is next to Whitehall park at top end of darwen. You could stay higher and go across top of park, or lower to go via bury fold lane, printshop and lower end of park. Witton weavers way path from lords hall has just been improved so better option than it used to be but have to climb a bit to get onto it.

Thanks Paul, that makes things abit clearer, ill still get lost though probably! : )
    Im going to have a crack at it soon, get dropped off at the start, then just got to run back home..

Between Great Hill and Darwen Tower it was mandatory to cross the A675 road at Piccadilly (GR 659197), turn right along the road for a short distance and then left into the wood.

The cemetery only became an issue from (I think) 1983 onwards. Prior to that the accepted route from Darwen Tower was to stay higher up the edge of the hill and hit the A666 nearer to Cadshaw by the Little Chef (which I suspect isn't there now) at 703196.

I ran the old three towers race and finis he'd 7th .l passed Harry Kelly on the rUn in .Has anyone got result sheet's as I can't remember the year ?