Thread: Hello from another newbie

Hello from another newbie

Hi!

I'm been running for a few years and hill walking all over Britain since I could walk and I'd like to start fell running. The biggest obstacle for me at the moment is location being based in the south but I'm hoping this won't stop me!

I'm a competent runner, training about 45 miles a week at moment but mainly on the flat as I'm doing a marathon in April. I completed the south downs marathon last June (26.2 miles (oddly!) and approx 6000ft ascent) so I've got a bit of hill experience but nothing serious.

I'm in the lakes on the royal wedding weekend so I was thinking of entering Coniston. Does this seem realistic (I can see it's a serious race)?

Thanks for reading this far if you're still with me!

Tom

Re: Hello from another newbie

I wouldn't worry about fitness Tom: the South Downs marathon is more demanding than all but the hardest and longest fell races.

Fellrunners aren't as fit as they are made out to be - we're mostly ageing plodders.

It's just the uneven terrain underfoot you have to get used to, and navigating in bad weather.

Thanks ZootHornRollo,

I've decided to go for it and enter Coniston. I figure if I never try I'll never know!

Banned

You'll both do well.
    Its all about route choice and you won't know till you've finished and talked to the folks around you how well you did.
    I watched Holmsie take a different route to the rest of the field and win the race last year.
    Just enjoy and learn.

Master

[QUOTE=ZootHornRollo;395140]I wouldn't worry about fitness Tom: the South Downs marathon is more demanding than all but the hardest and longest fell races.QUOTE]

cough, cough
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Welcome to the forums! It sounds like you have quite a bit of demanding hill running behind you so Coniston shoulder be a problem. Enjoy the lakes!

Goals:
    Sub 39min 10k
    UK IronMan (July 21st)
    Blog - Suunto TD3 Review

Master

Fitness wise it sounds like you will be fine but be prepared to see more experienced runners disappear into the distance on the rough and rocky descents, and you may be a bit lonely on the final descent from The Old Man unless you have a good idea of the best way down - the field will have spread out considerably by then, so "follow the leader" may not be viable. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, I should be around on the Friday before hand so I might try and recce the second half of the course so I don't get lost!

Made it to Coniston with a few mates and absolutely loved it. Gutted I live so far from the hills as I can't wait to come back for more.

Struggled a bit on the way up to Wetherlam but from then on I loved it. The descent was great, hopefully I'll get back again soon.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tompomfrett View Post
    Made it to Coniston with a few mates and absolutely loved it. Gutted I live so far from the hills as I can't wait to come back for more.

Struggled a bit on the way up to Wetherlam but from then on I loved it. The descent was great, hopefully I'll get back again soon.
    Another one bitten by the bug! Glad you enjoyed it & welcome aboard.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk