Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Toe pain

Big Toe pain

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar to me. After some of my recent longer runs I've had slight pain in one big toe the next morning. It's not serious and doesn't stop me doing anything, more a little niggle really. I think it's some sort of tendinitis in the tendons on the top of my foot as it seems to hurt when lifting my toe.

I think it's being caused by my Mizuno Harriers, during Rombalds stride I had a sore spot on the base of that toe and wrongly assumed it was a blister starting so ignored it. Turned out I had a small pebble embedded in my toe. I think this has also put a dent in the midsole at the same point on that shoe as it feels a little sunken and I've had the same sore spot develop every long run since (and the follwing morning it turns into this weird tendon pain). Do you think it's possible I'm running strangely due to having a sore toe and this is the cause? I wonder if I'm lifting my toes when running to avoid a sore spot and thus overusing the tendons instead.

What do you think?

Sorry for the rambling nature of my post

Master

Re: Big Toe pain

Your theory sounds very plausible Rob. Not sure what the answer is - this is similar:http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...-Tenosynivitis...

Does sound similar, thanks Mike. I'll look into that

Not sure about the tendons but I get pain in my left big toe joint after long runs. It aches the following day and sometimes for a few days after. I did a recce of a Bob Graham leg recently and was hobbling the next day. I'd understand if it was the big toe that I broke (by dropping a full bottle of wine on it ) but it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar to me. After some of my recent longer runs I've had slight pain in one big toe the next morning. It's not serious and doesn't stop me doing anything, more a little niggle really. I think it's some sort of tendinitis in the tendons on the top of my foot as it seems to hurt when lifting my toe.

I think it's being caused by my Mizuno Harriers, during Rombalds stride I had a sore spot on the base of that toe and wrongly assumed it was a blister starting so ignored it. Turned out I had a small pebble embedded in my toe. I think this has also put a dent in the midsole at the same point on that shoe as it feels a little sunken and I've had the same sore spot develop every long run since (and the follwing morning it turns into this weird tendon pain). Do you think it's possible I'm running strangely due to having a sore toe and this is the cause? I wonder if I'm lifting my toes when running to avoid a sore spot and thus overusing the tendons instead.

What do you think?

Sorry for the rambling nature of my post

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    Not sure about the tendons but I get pain in my left big toe joint after long runs. It aches the following day and sometimes for a few days after. I did a recce of a Bob Graham leg recently and was hobbling the next day. I'd understand if it was the big toe that I broke (by dropping a full bottle of wine on it ) but it isn't.
    where's the pain Hes? is it under the ball of the big toe or on top

It actually feels like it is inside the joint so that when I flex my toe, ie take a step, put weight on it and bend the joint, it hurts...I've just had a wander round my living room to describe it exactly but it isn't hurting right now!

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    where's the pain Hes? is it under the ball of the big toe or on top

Rob, that other thread was started by me. Another thing I've been told it might be is gout, believe it or not! Mind you, I'm in the right age bracket for a first attack of that, and it's controllable so probably better off with that than some kind of tendon injury that'll take ages (and lots of rest) to heal...
    It's a stinging pain, at first I thought it was a blister forming until I checked an there was nothing to see. Just back up the foot from my big toe, it is. Oh, and it's not there all the time, either, it seems to come and go.

I was going to say it sounds like classic gout symptons but someone beat me to it. Get tablets from the doctor and usually goes within 24/48 hours

Master

It is not gout - that is inside the joint, the whole joint is hot/red/swollen and it would render even hardened fell runners immobile from the pain.

How DARE you blame the mighty Mizuno Harrier??? Seriously, if it's like what I've got, and it IS tenothingummywhotsit, apparently upping the mileage or overuse can bring it on incrementally, so it kind of creeps up on you. It doesn't have to be a single incident that causes it.
    That would fit with me trying to train up for the Stride, Hobble and eventually the Fellsman.