Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Art Exhibition

Today's Art Exhibition

I expect everyone knows about this, but just in case - today I visited the Henry Moore sculpture exhibition at the Leeds Art Gallery and was completely blown away. I was on my way home from my long run and really tired, but once in I couldn't leave til I'd gone round it all. Room after room of it, anyone who responds to the natural world and the rocks on the moors would LOVE this. Moore uses an incredible variety of stone, much of it very beautiful. I have never seen such a rich exhibition of his work - and it's totally free. There are drawings as well, but personally it's the sculpture I respond to. It's here for a while and I'll be popping in every time I am passing, trying to memorise my favourites before they are taken away again. But even if you have not got the good fortune to live in Leeds it would be well worthwhile traveling to see this. In any other country it would cost an arm and a leg to visit such an exhibition. I can't begin to imagine what it must have cost to assemble.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Re: Today's Art Exhibition

Where is the gallery ?

Thanks for the tip off Alexandra. I'm frustrated because I was in Leeds on Friday for the Artists' Book Fair at the university and could have called in but I'll make sure I get over there soon before the exhibition changes.

Swift: The Leeds City Art Gallery is on The Headrow in the centre of Leeds and is next to the Henry Moore Institute and the Town Hall. Its big and you can't miss it. There is also a really nice craft and design gallery underneath it too (I don't just say that because I have work in it either! )

Wow, Hes! What kind of work? I like to browse in that gallery (though the prices are mostly beyond me) and I'd love to look at your stuff.

Must admit I've walked through the art gallery on a few occasions without properly viewing, simply because you have to go through some of the exhibition rooms to get to the only toilets in the central library/art gallery building.

One day soon I'll have a proper look.

Probably not easy for you if relying on public transport Alexandra but the Yorkshire Sculpture Park just off J 38 of the M1 is well worth a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    Probably not easy for you if relying on public transport Alexandra but the Yorkshire Sculpture Park just off J 38 of the M1 is well worth a visit.
    Yes, I have been, sculpture in the open air is wonderful, but the exhibitions at the YSP are a bit variable. Worth another visit, though, when I'm in mourning after the Henry Moores have been taken away. But that won't be for a while. There are footpaths that traverse the YSP, I think - it might be fun to contrive a run to and through it, and that might help with the transport problem.

I'm a printmaker and have about half a dozen prints in the racks there. I just sold a couple so I'll have to restock them. My website is www.hestercox.com if you fancy a look...no transport necessary!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Wow, Hes! What kind of work? I like to browse in that gallery (though the prices are mostly beyond me) and I'd love to look at your stuff.

I love the YSP, particularly the recent David Nash exhibition and also the Andy Goldsworthy one that was on a year or so ago. Its a great place to go for a walk with some culture thrown in or culture with a breath of fresh air. The Deer Shelter is great for some quiet reflection too!

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    Must admit I've walked through the art gallery on a few occasions without properly viewing, simply because you have to go through some of the exhibition rooms to get to the only toilets in the central library/art gallery building.

One day soon I'll have a proper look.

Thanks for the location instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    I'm a printmaker and have about half a dozen prints in the racks there. I just sold a couple so I'll have to restock them. My website is www.hestercox.com if you fancy a look...no transport necessary!
    Beautiful prints, Hes. I particularly love some of the pictures of birds in the Home folder. Have torn myself away for now, but look forward to exploring more folders in future. Very impressed by your CV - how on earth do you find time and energy to run as well as all that?