Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bashed ribs!

Bashed ribs!

Anyone got experience of bashed/bruised ribs they would like to share with me?

I fell over last Weds and gave them a hell of a knock. The pain settled down over the next few days, and on Sunday I thought I'd give running a go. Well, the running wasn't exactly a pleasant experience, but I got through 6 miles on gritted teeth. But then later that day I was virtually immobilised with painful spasms in my ribs everytime I tried to move. It's settled down again now, but it's pretty obvious running is a no-no at the moment.

How long do I have to wait do you reckon?

Sorry to hear about your ribs- brings back painful memories.

Had a similar experience after playing 5-a-side, although I wouldn't have even considered going for a run, as just the running action would have caused too much pain let alone breathing deeply. Took me 3-4 weeks before thing settled enough to run again.

Hope you heal faster than that.

Lived in Old Glossop up to May 2007 - Now live in New Hampshire USA
    Juicer

You and me both mate. Had a heavy fall onto my right side at the start of yesterdays Shining Cliffs race ( witnessed by DazH).

Was cut up pretty, but the pain in my ribs is excruciating. Im poppin more pills at the moment than that dick out of the babyshambles.
    Its actually quite difficult to walk or move or anything at the moment.

Ive been told that its a good few weeks until they are properly right - but DazH should be able to fill us in properly as he had a couple of cracked ribs last year.

Sympathys mate

Funnily enough I heard about you ajohns. I was going to do Shining Cliffs, but pulled out because of my ribs. I then I got a text message saying that someone had bust their ribs there. Ironic almost :-/

I think both your injuries sound worth than mine though. My doc thinks mine are 'just' bruised, tho he's not sure. He reckons 2-3 weeks before I can run again - but just wondered what other's experiences were, as we always try to return before we're meant to, don't we? Though after yesterdays experience I won't be rushing this time. Will definitely wait until I can run more comfortably than that!

Know what you means about the painkillers. I always think I'm against them, but then can't get them down my neck quick enough once I REALLY need them!

Master and MR
    juicer theres nowt you can do
    when i did mine i went down just like ajonns, the pain was unreal but i did manag e to run through it over te followin weeks
    remember taking 4 nurofen 1 mornin to numb the pain, i went to the hospital and the nurse was amazed id bothered
    they cant strap them nowadays you can only take pain killers
    6 to 8 weeks to heal,
    i was obsessed with not losing fitness and mad with myself for falling, this is normal
    the 2nd week in i was running with my left hand pressed permantley into my ribs so they didnt move about
    to this day i use that thought when i hit a bad patch in a race , i think about what pain i ran through then and it helps a bit mentally

Blimey Daz, ya nutter! Can't believe you ran through it.

I know what you mean though (as do we all). I don't mind having ONE week off, as it'd give my legs a rest. But anything after that, and I'll be worrying about losing all that hard won fitness.

Even yesterday, as I lay there like a plank frightened to move, I was thinking something like "well at least I've been out for 6 miles, that'll keep my legs ticking over".

Surely Ajohns can get his hands on some rather strong pain killers from work!

Wheres oxo when you need him? I am sure he bust his ribs fighting in some dive of a pub somewhere.

Hi Juicer,

I cracked ribs twice in a period of 3 months a couple of years ago.

Running is a problem for 2 reasons; the heavy breathing associated with running hard and also the jolting through the ribcage when you plant your feet.

Try cycling, either in the gym or on the road (no impact/jolting). In my experience 2 weeks max should see you back running okay.

All the best

MH

2 weeks MH - now that doesn't sound too bad

Yup, have been thinking about cross-training, maybe towards the end of the week when I should be feeling a bit more comfortable. Definitely planning on getting out for a long hill walk at the weekend. I thought about cycling - but think the leaning forward would be a problem. Might try the stepper though.

Lived in Old Glossop up to May 2007 - Now live in New Hampshire USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Surely Ajohns can get his hands on some rather strong pain killers from work!

Wheres oxo when you need him? I am sure he bust his ribs fighting in some dive of a pub somewhere.

Got some very strong pain killers this morning ( 50mg of codeine and 500mg of paracetamol - in one tablet). No alcohol allowed AND they make you drowsy and constipated

Went for further assesment this morning and was told I have definitely cracked and maybe fractured the 7th and 8th ribs on the right side.

I dont know how anyone can even think about running with this, its just excruciatingly painful.