Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Down to earth with a bump

Re: Down to earth with a bump

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Hehe, I think you're expectations were just set too high. Take three pretty classic fell races:

1. Borrowdale - 17 miles and 7,000 ft of climb. 2010 winning time = 2:52 hours. A 4 hour finish would place you 85th out of a field of 346 runners

2. The 3 Peaks - 23.3 miles and 5,300 ft of climb. 2010 winning time = 3:02 hours. A 4 hour finish would place you 119th out of a field of 602

3. The Full Tour of Pendle - 17 miles and 4,800 ft of climb. 2010 winning time = 2:27 hours. A 4 hour finish would place you 246th out of a field of 310

No race is the same and the contrast between Borrowdale and the FTOP is incredible really. Anyone who has run the FTOP would call it a tough race but then you have a bash at Borrowdale...........
    it also down to your personal style

same 3 races PB's for me

1. 133rd
    2. 92nd
    3. 29th

As Stolly say 1 and 3 and worlds apart

nph
    I think that the big factor is leg strength.
    Extended and multiple climbs require alot of it.
    Descending quickly requires even more (plus a good deal of skill and confidence)

Good road running technique tends to be a higher cadence, lower strength running style and I think cross country is largely similar.
    Fell running however tends to lower cadence higher strength, particularly on a climb, but also on rough/ soft terrain.
    climbing and terrain running will tend to demand a longer, but powerful muscle contraction. Running against higher resistance (gravity or soft ground)

Its just very different

Many thanks for all the encouragement and advice. I think the general consensus is that the leg strength i have from cross country is no where near that required for fell running. I will certainly stick at it. Skill and confidence descending is another big factor. I just didn't really appreciate the different demands of Fell and cross country thinking it's just running. It's not it's a completely different discipline.

Third fell race, the Three peaks! Thought i started slowly up Pen-y-ghent 39.52,Ribblehead 1.40 still feeling ok. Up Whernside 2.25 several passed us on the climb but felt i was still going ok. Hit the wind on top of Whernside and the energy just ebbed away. Finished in 4.55, even managed a 30 minute mile! coming down Ingleborough! not helped by deciding to remove a stone from my shoe getting cramp and struggling to get it back on. So back to thinking it's leg strength that's holding me back ?

Master

Well done, both at a successful Three Peaks, and stunning the Forumites into silence!

Quote Originally Posted by Nowton Park Harrier View Post
    even managed a 30 minute mile! coming down Ingleborough! not helped by deciding to remove a stone from my shoe getting cramp and struggling to get it back on.
    Love this post. In what other sport could a 30-minute mile in extremis be met with nods of respect from fellow competitors who know exactly why this was a big achievement. Lovely, inspiring story and my favourite so far from the PPP. Big respect to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowton Park Harrier View Post
    Third fell race, the Three peaks! Thought i started slowly up Pen-y-ghent 39.52,Ribblehead 1.40 still feeling ok. Up Whernside 2.25 several passed us on the climb but felt i was still going ok. Hit the wind on top of Whernside and the energy just ebbed away. Finished in 4.55, even managed a 30 minute mile! coming down Ingleborough! not helped by deciding to remove a stone from my shoe getting cramp and struggling to get it back on. So back to thinking it's leg strength that's holding me back ?
    I started off road running and then converted to fell, and also just completed the 3 Peaks in 4.48, so not too dissimilar to you. Here's my tuppence worth:

Road, cross country and fell are completely different sports. On the road I'm fairly fast, I've won a couple of smaller races and can comfortably finish near the top of the field. Fell running is completely different however, as you can see by my 3Ps time I finished much closer to the end of the field!

The more fell running you'll do, the better you'll get! I've been working on it for the past year now and slowly but surely I'm finding the uphills easier and my legs are much more comfortable enduring the rough terrain.

If you're struggling to get out into the hills I always find cycling compliments fell running quite well.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Harrison View Post
    I started off road running and then converted to fell, and also just completed the 3 Peaks in 4.48, so not too dissimilar to you. Here's my tuppence worth:

Road, cross country and fell are completely different sports. On the road I'm fairly fast,
    The more fell running you'll do, the better you'll get! I've been working on it for the past year now and slowly but surely I'm finding the uphills easier and my legs are much more comfortable enduring the rough terrain.

If you're struggling to get out into the hills I always find cycling compliments fell running quite well.
    Sam, it would be interesting to know some of your road times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Sam, it would be interesting to know some of your road times.
    Apologies for the slow reply, only just noticed yours! Here's a few of my PBs:

1 mile: 4 mins 45 secs
    5k: 17 mins
    10k: 35 mins 30 secs
    Half marathon: 1 hour 25 mins

Doubt I could come anywhere near those times at the moment though, that when I was doing proper speed training (intervals and the like). Have been focusing on fell running recently and as such my road running has slowed right down! The races I've won were a couple of 1 milers and a 4 mile trail race, all with fields around the 100 mark.
    Last edited by Sam Harrison; 27-05-2011 at 07:31 PM.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Harrison View Post
    Apologies for the slow reply, only just noticed yours! Here's a few of my PBs:

1 mile: 4 mins 45 secs
    5k: 17 mins
    10k: 35 mins 30 secs
    Half marathon: 1 hour 25 mins

Doubt I could come anywhere near those times at the moment though, that when I was doing proper speed training (intervals and the like). Have been focusing on fell running recently and as such my road running has slowed right down! The races I've won were a couple of 1 milers and a 4 mile trail race, all with fields around the 100 mark.
    Sam, your times suggest a lack of endurance training - you are much faster over the shorter distances. I suspect your "problem" is different from Nowton Park Harrier's.